78 TY250 Engine spares

pre65bert

What is actually wrong with the engine ? They can be really knackered,but still repairable. The old banger I have currently runs an engine built of of 3 scrappers,I only used new piston rings and a couple of gaskets to put it together. The crankcases had been welded at least twice before I had to do more ! The selector drum for the gearbox has also had welded repairs. If you are going to bin your engine I'd be interested in it for more "stock".

• Like 1

The whole thing is rough. I had it running, but the bottom was noisy with a tuneful piston slap. The gears were stiff to enaage and jumped out of 2nd. When I started to take it apart I found the flywheel thread was stripped. Even with a Snap On pulley/slide hammer its not moving, I've been soaking the thread/keyway for days without any joy. I havent used excess heat as I'm trying to retain the flywheel, but it may need some serious heat. What I'll find beyond that is anyones guess.

22 hours ago, pre65bert said:

The whole thing is rough. I had it running, but the bottom was noisy with a tuneful piston slap. The gears were stiff to enaage and jumped out of 2nd. When I started to take it apart I found the flywheel thread was stripped. Even with a Snap On pulley/slide hammer its not moving, I've been soaking the thread/keyway for days without any joy. I havent used excess heat as I'm trying to retain the flywheel, but it may need some serious heat. What I'll find beyond that is anyones guess.

I wouldn't panic too much,they aren't too expensive for bits, do you mean the LH thread for the puller is stripped, or the thread that holds the flywheel on ? A decent rebore and a piston isn't too bad ,plus a rod kit, mains,seals and gaskets should sort the engine side. The gearboxes suffer badly when the gear lever gets clouted,bending the shaft, cracking the crankcases and sometimes splitting out the pegs in the selector drum. Most, if not all is repairable and a set of clutch plates if needed will help. They are good motor's, if yours is as bad as the junk I rebuilt, then it will have done a whole heap of work and suffered enormous abuse. 

• Like 3