TY175 Clutch Pushrod

rockheadrumple

I have been building a TY175 from bits and pieces left over from a previous restoration. I have an issue with the clutch. If I assemble with the ball between the clutch rods, there is no free play in the mechanism at all and the outer pressure plate is clearly not seating nicely on the last friction plate, being held off by the mushroom rod.

If I remove the ball, there is heaps of free play, even with the eccentric adjuster set to max and the clutch only just disengages and will surely drag. 

The clutch rod and ball were original Yamaha part No, 1W1-16357-00-00. Rod is 122mm, ball is 4.75mm and mushroom rod is 62.4mm.

Am I missing something here? I have a spare rod and am tempted to grind a few mm off but would be a last resort. Any advice much appreciated!

Mark - Perth, Australia

I have 5 fibre friction plates and 4 steel plates as per the manual. I have 2 rods, both at 122mm, so a small difference there. I believe earlier models didn't use a ball so I guess the rod would have been longer. The 1W1 number came from the 1978 TY175 manual and is for rod and ball. 

There is another post on TC (below) with exactly the same issue but no resolution was ever posted. Looks like I may have to start grinding!

I did think that was a possibility, all the original plates were within spec according to the manual, but I bought new plates anyway, no difference.

I also wondered about the position of the clutch basket but the wear marks on the primary drive gears all match up. 

I'm at a loss, ready to grind!!!!!