New Van Trials Chocks

telecat

We have bought a van to transport the Vertigo. Does anybody have any recommendations for wheel chocks or a way to hold the bike. We did look at one that holds by the foot pegs but aren't sure it works with Trials Bikes. Its called the MX Lock and load. Anybody used it or anything like it?

Edited by telecat
Additiional info

Depending on your van. You can place front tyre against bulkhead, put bike in 1st and use ratchet ties from each side of handlebar. You can also put bike on lock with front wheel in a corner and tie down from both sides of handlebar.

I built a metal frame from box section steel that slots in and out and it takes 3 bikes and spare wheels and leaves the front of the van clean to change in (Transit) idea pinched from Bill Pye, thanks Bill!

These work well https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorbike-WHEEL-CHOCK-Motorcycle-Anchor/dp/B00KRDO0LU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_lp_img_3/260-9675505-0768500?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S1A6E3KAD630YQ54A66D

all depends on the size of the van, if its going in backwards you could always get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apico-Factory-Racing-Motorcycle-Trial-Motorbike-Bike-Floor-Stand-Black/302456535791?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

mine goes in forward and then i put a stand under the sump guard and then use those X straps to 

strap it in, thats in a vivaro 

Been using a van most of my life. (45 years in trials) Why spend money to have something in your way. You just need tie down mounts. The bike does not need to touch anything, and quit worrying about sacking the springs. You should be buying a new bike or replacing the springs anyways.

Hi - i used to jam front wheel in corner where bulkhead/van side meet and then use tie downs, but having bars at that angle meant I had to rotate clutch lever round and ended up with fluid level low and hence no clutch at one trial. So I knocked up this little frame from wood I had lying about - it jams between bulkhead and wheel arch to help fix its position.

Looking about, I saw several others using chocks etc. as above, but my frame holds bike upright via front wheel without any straps making it easier to then strap down.

Interestingly, I thought about options such as multiple bikes, moving bike to different sides etc. -  so I am a lecturer at a University, and have just set a design project for a student to try and design this very thing - minimally invasive so no holes in van floor or sides, multiple bikes, multiple configurations/angles, easy to remove, lightweight etc. - so I am looking forward to his proposed solution to this design problem, and may then be able to construct one myself if it is suitable!

IMG_1921.JPG

I have seen someone use the "MX Lock and load" on a trials bike before, it worked, but was a little loose in comparison to a larger bike so they also put a single tie down over the bike as a secondary holding with the D-Rings on the base plate for the "MX Lock and load".  

Not sure I would use one unless I could recess the system just a bit but at least it worked on the Gas Gas I saw it used on.  

Then again you could just put some kind of wood frame in place to chock up the tires a bit for more pressure?  

Edited by jonnyc21

• 4 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, 2stroke4stroke said:

Most folk just use a wooden frame to support the wheel and use tie downs.  

Posh blokes might use this sort of thing Support

I carry road/track bikes in my van quite a lot. I've found those wheel chocks good for a 120 section tyre, but a bit rubbish for my Trials bike. You'd be better off making something yourself out of wood etc. A bungee strap around the twist grip and brake helps a lot too (and sometimes helps bleed small bubbles out of the hydraulic system if you've got a modern bike)