Can I run with piston slap?

typerossy

Can anybody tell me if it is ok to run with piston slap, bought this bike as a non runner, got it started but its not sounding right. I searched online and a lot of people say it's piston slap it's still OK to ride as a lot of bikes that year are like this. Is this correct? It's a 290 2004.

I'd like to share what I've done to six of my older bike when there is too much piston to barrel clearance and there is "slop".  As long as the piston and barrel are not over @20 thousandths (diameter or total) out of specification, I have my pistons coated with an abradable power coating (APC), hone the cylinder, and put new rings in it; for a couple, I had to get a 1 over sized rings and file down ends to get a perfect fit/end gap.  I cannot say how good this stuff works, it's quite amazing and very cost effective; usually under $50 (USD) plus cost of rings.  In fears of having this post deleted, I won't get into all the technical information about this product, so please don't think this is an advertisement for this product, as I have only been a customer of the company who does this.  The company that does this is called Line2line Coatings and located in the USA.  They have a great deal of technical information available on their website and on Youtube.  I cannot stress how great this product works.  I had a (nearly impossible to find) VERY scuffed BetaTR34 piston (had to beat it out) that most would NEVER consider putting back in the bike coated with APC.  I also had a ring made for it and honestly, the bike now sounds better than new and outstanding compression.  I've coated original Yamaha TY's,  Bultacos, Tiger Cub, Suzuki TM, and the BetaTR34 pistons, with outstanding results in all of them.  Regards.          

Sounds pretty much like a bad case of the slap to me.  I have tried piston coating in the past, but I had no luck.

Depending upon where you are, som places keep some exchange cylinder/piston kits ready to go. The tolerances on these are extremely critical and they must be matched.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, copemech said:

Sounds pretty much like a bad case of the slap to me.  I have tried piston coating in the past, but I had no luck.

Depending upon where you are, som places keep some exchange cylinder/piston kits ready to go. The tolerances on these are extremely critical and they must be matched.

I just went for that option today,  exchange cylinder and piston. Sent them off today so hopefully I will receive the replated cylinder and new piston early next week, not cheap but hopefully it will do the trick. I will post the outcome once i've fitted them.

Edited by typerossy