Changing rear sprocket

wispyone

Morning folks, 

Newbie question so please bear with me.

My bike has a 48 tooth sprocket on the rear and I want to put it back to a 42. Question is do I have to alter the chain length?

Ideally I would like to keep the chain as it is so I can always put the 48 back on if it alters it too much

Cheers 

Richard

That is quite a big difference in chain length.

Option A

If you change the front sprocket instead of the rear you MIGHT get away with using the same chain length. If you say what number of teeth are on the front now, someone can work out how many extra teeth on the front will give you the same change in gearing (I'm guessing one or two extra teeth on the front)

Option B

If you buy a second split link or a one-and-a-half link you SHOULD be able to use the piece of chain you remove when you put the bigger sprocket back on again.

For both these options, the likelyhood of success depends on how far back your axle currently is in the slot at the moment and what your adjustment range is and if you have 428 or 520 size chain.

The bike is a gas gas 200 2006. It has 9 tooth on the front. I am keeping the front and pcutting a 42 on the rear. With it sat in place it looks like 2 links need to come out. Hopefully with a gentle dremmel and then  punch pin through.

39 minutes ago, oni nou said:

44t is the usual fitment on the 200 if you did not know....not trying to tell you your stuff; its just there are a lot of people that have zero knowledge of bikes asking questions.

I think you will find it a lot better without the 48t sprocket.

Ha no problem. I am one of those people who know nothing about bikes?

Sprocket now on, managed to get 2 links out of chain and all back together. Not 100% sure how to get proper tension on chain ( how much slack required) but it will be coming apart again tomorrow as I need some grease for rear axel bolt........ I have some in the garage somewhere but I'm quite sure I will only find it when i get some more.

2 minutes ago, huski said:

9/48 is too low,bottom gear will be useless,I don't think you'll put the 48 back on again.You can grind away the top of the pin that you want to remove and push the link out 

Ye I bought the bike with that set up so decided to change it, iv kept the 9 on the front to see how much of a difference the 42 rear makes