4 Ride front calliper breaking

monty4r

Straight back to the shop chap as said take it up with them then follow it up with a call to Honda UK ask to speak to someone high up as you can get in Honda Sales UK . I'm new to Montesa so don't know the bikes that well is the calliper shared across the 4RT an 4ride ?. I'm looking at the pic's as an Engineer an its a Catastrophic part Failure and they should move quick on it. that said it took BMW 4 years to sort out the front spindle snapping off the fork leg's of the F650's after saying it was not a problem how you like to lose the front wheel off a bike 

Pug

Edited by pug
  • Like 1

Strange - they appear to have failed in different places..

The mounting hole on the top picture looks a little fretted as may be a bolt loose but bottom looks to be just split.

Edited by jimmyl

this is a casting defect, porosity or oxide film. it can lead to a recall but in some cases this can be a singular fault. For example when permanent mold casting, first couple of pieces following the start of production, comes with defects due to thermal cycle. it is in fact possible to detect them with x ray and most of the quality casting shops make %100 x-ray inspection. if the broken part is inspected by an expert, the problem can be understood.  

Hope you could ride your bike as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Parts have gone back to Honda Germany for testing lots of pics taken of front end of 4ride and sent

They may fear taking blame and a re call on parts ?

i think dealer is going to sort parts and take it up with Honda montesa there after ? We keep you posted 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of arguing with montesa they have agreed to replace the part 

even though they not taking responsibility for product failure 

sort of says it all 

must say Thunderroad gloucester as dealers have been very good in arguing the case big thanks to Colin ?

As this is a safety critical component, anyone who has this failure should contact DVSA to report their concerns. If enough owners report failures, the DVSA may well make Honda issue a recall on this part, due to these bikes being used on the public highway.

it would be of interest to us all, to hear why Honda believe they should not replace this component, have they said it has been tampered with, or not used for it intended use etc, etc ?!!

Thanks for Keeping us up to speed on this I'm on school half term so took a run out on the lanes yesterday very sticky mud an lots of leaves only about 40 miles but that front calliper was never to far off my mind the hole time out each time I pulled the front end up could not help thinking about it 

vlcsnap-2017-10-27-12h04m53s052.png

Edited by pug
  • Like 1