chain lube - sandy conditions

thai-ty

Hi, coming from having road bikes all my adult life, and being a m/c mechanic and machinist, I know about chains and lube.

But, now I've got into trials bikes as well, i'm in a dilemma about lubing the chains on my two ty250 mono's. Where I ride, the soil is almost like a lime, sandy condition. Whatever is put on the chain, either proper aerosol Silkolene chain spray, or g/box oil from an oil can spout just on the rollers, it's just like flies being attracted to sh... Anything will attract the sand.

So. lately I've been running the chains dry, no lube and giving them a brush down post ride. At 12 quid for a new length of brand name chain locally, this seems my best option.
Any views, opinions, comments? What's better? Right or wrong?

WD 40 here as well. I will pressure wash the chain clean, hose it with wd40 after blow dry, let it sit overnite and it is ready to go. I only reapply in a extremely muddy trial as a mud repellant. don't like it wet and slinging oil.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oni nou said:

WD is to ward off the rust.... Britain has a water content in the air and the ground of about 99% so it is essential here or the chain would rust away before it ever got a chance to wear out. Just run it dry......I would or get some dry lube to use as previously mentioned,...you can make your own dry lube aerosol by using an old aerosol air freshener can that is completely empty and save £6 or whatever....just point the nozzle at the chain and spin the rear wheel round while it is up on a box stand .....the best thing is it never runs out and costs nothing.

Excellent idea. Have you not thought about patenting this.

I use WD40 on my bikes, every ride, come home, wash bike, clean chain and spray with wd40, wipe chain and swing arm with clean cloth and it’s ready for the next time. No more wear than using normal lube and chain and surrounding area are always clean. And a large can of WD40 is cheaper than a can of most chain lubes.

Wurth dry lube is great in the summer if you're not washing your bike on every outing.  Wurth also do a light oil spray that's like WD40 but with more oil residue left, which I like.

On my street bike I use WD40 brand chain wax, which would probably be suitable for any longer distance rides like if you're taking a road legal trials bike up into the Pyrenees or along the Florida Way or something.

16 hours ago, jj65 said:

I use WD40 on my bikes, every ride, come home, wash bike, clean chain and spray with wd40, wipe chain and swing arm with clean cloth and it’s ready for the next time. No more wear than using normal lube and chain and surrounding area are always clean. And a large can of WD40 is cheaper than a can of most chain lubes.

Yes, but do you ride in sandy conditions?

As mentioned dry chain lube do the trick very well.

To WD40 you might look  up for what WD40 is mentioned to be: "Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try"

WD40 was invented by Convair for their Atlas rockets as a water displacement and corroion protection, and the 40'th try out of a mixture from peroleum and benzine finally showed very good results.

As a dry chain lube I personal use "PDL Dry Lube chainspray" which includes PTFE, before application I clean up the cahin from any existing minral oil as if there is something left the PTFE will not stick to the metal and then it's like using the chain without any lube. 

On 17/10/2017 at 5:44 PM, jj65 said:

Me too, never lube a chain on a trials bike...............a new 520 chain is only about £30

When the chain is goosed, chuck it away and buy another

• Like 1

On 18/10/2017 at 10:23 AM, thai-ty said:

Yes, but do you ride in sandy conditions?

Sometimes, but the uk is wet and muddy. It’s not a magic solution, it’s just a better cleaner way to look after the chain and sprockets imho. The point of using WD40 has already been said, it keeps the chain relatively clean and is easy to clean and reapply. Apply straight after washing and blow drying, preferably so it has several hours minimum before use.