Gasgas vs Montesa real world weights

duggan

For a little while I’ve wanted to know the actual difference in weight between a Montesa 300rr and a GasGas 300 racing.

Having ridden both extensively I always get the feeling the Honda is much more than the claimed 72kg considering how much heavier it feels compared to the claimed 67kg gasgas. 

Fairly sure these figures must be dry, no fuel, oils and coolant etc. 

I decided to get the scales out! Both bikes were fitted with a full set of guards, fork, frame and swingarm, all ready to be ridden with oils, coolant and a full tank of fuel. The only real difference to the spec was the Montesa had been fitted with a heavier duty Csp sump guard, approx 500g more than the standard item.

The results were as expected. 

The Montesa 76.5kg and the gasgas was just under 70kg at 69.2kg 

so the ready to ride difference was 7.3kg.

both bikes are fantastic to ride and the extra weight of the Montesa isn’t a problem, it’s only really obvious when ridden back to back, or when you’ve been injured or nackered after a long day out and have to load them it the van! ??

Edited by duggan
  • Like 3

:P in 5 years time the Montesa will still weight 76.5 kg and the gas gas 65.2 kg with the bits that have broken and fallen off or 73 KG with the weld to fix the bits that have broken - :P

The wallet of the Gas Gas owner will also be much lighter than the Montesa owner 

Only joking ;)

• Like 4

I've riden Montesa 4rt's since 2005 (ive had 7) my current Mont is 2017. I love them.

But... it is getting very anoyingly frusttrating that Montesa/Honda haven't reduced the weight or change much since 2005. I get the feeling they are not interesdted in us or Keeping customers happy. We all know Tony Buo's bike is much lighter, in fact I've heard it's 65Kg. 

I know we cant expect 65Kg but I dont think anyone doubts that Honda/Montesa could produce a lighter bike for the general market.

Ive weighed my 4rt it's 77.5Kg! and Ive also weighted my son's beta 4T that is 74.5Kg, come on Honda, you could do a lot better!

Im talking to you "Montesa Honda" please do something about it before a lot of Montesa owners go for the Beta 4T which is 3Kg lighter!  

By the way, ive also weighed my mates TRS its 66Kg ready to ride!

On a side note? Have anyone ever thought about easiness to control while on a single wheel? For instance, stopies and wheelies are easier controled on a heavier bike!  Just watch the enduro guys like Coleman or Jarvis. They couldn't have that much control on a trials bike when comes to rear wheel in the air!   Also there is much to say about how that weight is distributed. A bike that is a bit heavier might have a better distribution of weight making it easier to ride, but of course that will also be rider's preference. Lastly, it just amuses me that people freak out about 5kg diference when most of us could easily shed 10kg of body weight.  The weight of the bike is more critical to the pros than to us mortals! I had a chance recently to ride a sherco that was supposedly super light due to after market parts and I couldn't ever tell.  Just a thought 

• Like 2

I'm no immortal and I can tell. I weigh 140lbs on a heavy day, so carrying around 16 extra pounds of bike fat (which is 12% of my total body weight) isn't on the list of things I want to do in an event. Even if it's only because I have to push the stupid thing around if I get stuck somewhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

The weight of the bike is more critical to the pros than to us mortals!

Unless you're crap like me, and have to pick the bike up or drag it around a lot ...

My GG is 70Kg wet, and the TY 84Kg.  I do hope to cut the TY weight a bit, but so far it's gaining weight what with the longer swingarm, etc.

• Like 1

I ride inter level, so basically Im trying hard to get to expert level (crapping out on expert sections), Im my humble opinion, weight Does matter!

Bouncing, hopping and flick turns are much easier on a 2T. Believe me I can flick a lot beter on my mates TRS (65/66Kg).

It's no suprise nobody's riding Montesa's in the BTC...it's almost like Honda/Montesa dont care about that?

Is the reason that the general market 4rt (including the 300RR) just isn't up to it? goes to show that Tony Buo / factory bikes are nothing like those we mortals can buy.

Come on Honda/Montesa, give us a 67kg 4RT and get more riders on BTC!   

• Like 1

Maybe also the thread should read  "in real world section"

Not sure the Montesa is at any disadvantage in the majority of sections ridden by the majority of rider s especially streams and and rocky sections.

A good long rocky gulley is bread and butter for the Mont so maybe its a case of deciding what you want to do and choosing accordingly. 

if you want to get the bike out of the garage every weekend knowing it is going to run exactly the same as it has for every other time you have ridden it and knowing it will stay together for several seasons and make you smile every time you give it a blast across a bit of open ground them might be worth the extra weight and engineering even if it holds you back from being able to do the best flick turn in the car park.

Bit like marmite - if it was change to red and tasted of strawberry it would be called jam.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimmyl said:

A good long rocky gulley is bread and butter for the Mont so maybe its a case of deciding what you want to do and choosing accordingly.      

Try riding the SSDT on one, that bread and butter turns into bread and butter pudding real quick :P