Reiger vs Ohlins?

cackallacky

I see GasGas is switching from the Reiger rear shock to Ohlins. Any thoughts or experience on one vs the other?

When I shop them separately, I see the Ohlins at almost one half the cost of the Reiger. Purely a cost savings approach? Is performance apples to apples?

Cheers!

Ohlins should stay out of trials suspensions. Their rear shocks blow like a Bad North wind. Reiger is hands down the better way to go. They say you get what you pay for and its so very true. I would take a stock olle over the ohlins

• Like 1

I’d prefer a Rieger over an Ohlins, would be a little disappointing seeing an Ohlins on the racing models especially when there’s talk of a £400 pound price increase ☹️ Lower spec at a higher price? Hopefully this isn’t the case?

• Like 1

The Reiger with separate rebound and compression damping is superb,and better than the Ohlins with combined damping,but with the price difference it should be.I don't think the Reiger with combined damping adjustment is as good as the Ohlins which is a fairer comparison price wise?

Ohlins definitely have the ability to make the best suspension available,as seen in MotoGP,Motoxgp and recently DownhillMTB,and Reiger are big in the Sidecar Motox world!so both companies know their stuff.

Maybe the top spec Reiger is just too expensive now

• Like 1

Yeah, as mentioned above, there are a variety of Reiger shocks... the one with combined rebound/compression adjustment, as found on the GG TXT Racing (at least it was last year, this year as yet unknown), the one with separate rebound and compression, the one with separate rebound and individual high/low speed compression damping, etc. I think as they get more expensive and the separate adjustments increase, the potential for making a mess of your settings just goes up :)

I'm hoping the Ohlins is better than the Reiger with combined compression/rebound, since it's good but not quite as bottomless feeling as I'd like.

• Like 2

My take is this. I'm a rubbish trials rider but I've had a reiger on my factory GG and had an Ohlins on my 2010 sherco. I couldn't notice a single bit of difference with the Ohlins on the sherco but thought the reiger was ace on the GG compared to my  r16v  2017 sherco.....hope that makes sense. What I've found over the years riding road bikes and trackdays etc is ohlins make varying levels of suspension and in my opinion live of their name cause it's a world leader and it's shiney and bright, If it were me, unless you are getting top of the range Ohlins, go with reiger as the ohlins is just bling, granted, bright shiney bling :D

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

im not sure eggs is eggs with all your comparisons as the ohlin on the 18 gasser is new to this model and specific to this years bike?

The reiger comes in different forms too?

how many of the above comments are based on trying similar shocks back to back on the same bike?

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...