Reiger vs Ohlins?

cackallacky

3 hours ago, lineaway said:

Showa is basically for Honda. The Repsol is the only 4rt using it? 

301rr and the 300rr run showa  rear shock as well as the repsol which I think used to run an older version 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, leosantanalg said:

No one mention the Showa so far?? Why? 

They all can be adjusted to your abilities. Increase the sag and have a soft rear end. Its very unlikely that any of us lower level riders can outperform any of the shocks that come stock 

I have seen pictures of one on a Gas Gas and one on a Beta so they can be setup for other bikes, however it seems it is not common. 

As I don't know anything more about it other than it can be done and only ever used Showa suspension on my two Montesa's (07 4RT & 2017 300RR) I can't speak to the difference over the other bikes. 

And for clarification: The Montesa Repsol has Showa front and Rear, 300RR and 301RR have Formula Tech front and Showa Rear...

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 2

Could be that there are far more Olhins than Reiger units out there world wide, on all types of machine, apart from two wheel products. Hence there is more criticism of Ohlins, possibly for faults or issues reported by whatever means, whereas Reiger   with less units out there would appear to have less issues when compared to Ohlins. So as an example Ohlins with 400 units and Reiger with 200 units and 10 reported faults or inadequacies in performance, Reiger looks better when in fact the Ohlins is better. 

As most new trials machines look very similar, if you stripped all the identifying decals (‘stickers’) off some of us might have difficulty in identifying (apart from paint/plastics colour) each make. Most bikes will ride the same i.e. like a trials bike, so maybe the riders abilities, weight, riding stance, physical performance and to some extent age and balance should be considered. We don’t all rush out and change the suspension on our cars, vans etc. because most of us would not have the technical ability or experience to relate what was happening during a test drive or during normal motoring. If you have have seen an experienced rider (race driver to) of any bike sport check their suspension before riding to test or race, you may have noticed that they make the front and rear move (bounce if you will) even though they have spent many track hours testing various settings, even changing tyre pressures. They do this because, apart from a safety point of view, they now that temperature change affects suspension performance. Anyone who has done a track day will be aware that suspension damping ‘goes off’ the more the suspension is worked under acceleration, braking, rider input and track surfaces. So comparing the action of two different dampers (shock absorber) will be like chalk and cheese. Unless you use the same bike on the same section, with the same rider in the same kit at the same bike suspension set-up or use a sophisticated test rig. Look at the average trials rider, most will have different riding apparel. Most will be different weights and of vastly differing physical stance and fitness. A fair test of one type of damper (shock absorber) in my view no! On the traction point, tyre types and pressure differences need to be considered along with section surface i.e. slushy mud, clay type mud etc.

Too many variables, so I’ll be sticking with twin shock and cheapo suspension. When all the product sponsorship vanishes, so to will the sponsored riders perseverance with the equipment they have to use.  

30 minutes ago, section swept said:

... We don’t all rush out and change the suspension on our cars, vans etc. because most of us would not have the technical ability or experience to relate what was happening during a test drive or during normal motoring. .

I think this is a really good point.  There is a tendency to upgrade shocks that is unusual in every other world apart from motorbikes.

I ride the wife's Beta some times and the suspension seems very crappy to me compared to the TRS.  (RR model - Reiger shock).  She is OK with it.  Neither of us are much good and not at the "hop" stage.  One possibility is the unit is just worn out (I can bottom it out).  Trials bikes if ridden well have a hard life.  I have been reading this thread with interest to see if buying a new shock is sensible, they are very expensive and a significant investment on an old bike (Beta is '14)  The Reiger is over a grand and so you have to consider the current trade in value plus a grand and what you could buy with that.

I am going to guess and say any decent after market shock is going to be better than an old shock that has some level of wear.  I wonder what the cost benefit is over having the stock unit properly serviced and set up?

If your wife is happy with it I'd leave it alone,it's not worth much more with a (for example Ohlins)shock than as standard.You could fit an Ohlins then possibly think the back is fine,but shows up the front,upgrade that but where do you stop?Save your money and put it towards something newer and better when she wants an upgrade

• Thanks 1

Found an old thread on here

and it mentions a Belgian shock.  This is still available in "road" (LOL) and competition versions.  The cheaper one is not a disaster: https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcycle/Beta/Evo-250-2-Takt-T6-wilbers/shock-absorber-type-630-Road.html?year=2014

A service/rebuild is about £130-160 for the OE.

Most annoying to have all this spare time and not be able to use it more productively.  Huski, I think you are right and if I do the back end the front will annoy me.

I'd imagine (and just my opinion) that the change from Reiger to Ohlins was a financial decision by Gas Gas as a way to cut costs and maximise profit as the Reiger cost v's the current Ohlins shock cost is a sizable difference

I have tried both and definitely prefer the Reiger on my GP
Ohlins make great rear shocks and in various different specs. The spec on the Gas Gas is not their top spec rear shock set up.

If you could compare the top spec Ohlins with the 3 way Reiger then I'm sure it would be a much closer call and probably come down to personal preference.
As it is the Ohlins is still a very good shock and a professional set up would make it feel better again but for me the Reiger works and feels better 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been thinking about an Ohlins for my beta evo 250 4t 2013 as I don’t ride much and can’t justify the cost of a bike upgrade,is there only one unit available for the whole range/years upto2018 as I can only find one option