Riding Without Front Mudguard

motopat

did a trial last week and leaves clogged the front mudguard really bad (so much it stopped the bike and the back wheel just spun, and I had to drag the fuggin thing up a hill before I realised the prob :PB) )

So, I know you can get spacers, but being a tighta$$ - is there any reason why I just can't ride without the guard (keep the brace)?

Bike is a TYZ250 if it matters

cheers :hat:

You just need to lift the mudguard about 10mm or so. Several cheapo ways of doing it. Space it with 8mm nuts, use a stack of washers, even plastic petrol pipe cut up to make spacers. Wouldn't recommend riding without the guard as you're just going to get a face full of crap spraying off the front wheel

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to ride with either mudgaurd missing.

Anyone confirm that ?

If that is a rule its a bit over the top!

Take the following scenario for example.

What happens on your first section of the day when you fall off (as i often do) and break a mudguard - are you expected to retire on the spot?

Yes it is against the rules to ride without a mudguard. You'll never get through scrutineering without one!

What ? No scrutineering?

Maybe you'll be black flagged... what no black flag????

Of course the runner-up could put in an official protest! That'll be

What ? No scrutineering? I hope the club is well insured!!!! I know srutineering a pain in the preverbial, but some people would sue if they impailed themselves on the ball less clutch lever, or cracked their skull open when their loose spoked rear wheel collapsed causing their antique push bike helmet to split open as it smashes against a granite rock!!!!!!! Believe me some riders would sue, it not the observer or spectator would, unfortunatly money talks especially via a good lawyer!

Scrutineering covers the clubs bum what you choose to brake after scrutineering is not thier problem!

I agree with your point on scrutineering in a perfect world however; by carrying out scrutineering, the club then actually accepts responsibility for the condition of the bike.

If an un-scrutineered bike doesn't meet the standard laid down in the ACU hand book, then it is the riders responsibility. Carry out a check and it shifts to the club.

I agree with your point on scrutineering in a perfect world however; by carrying out scrutineering, the club then actually accepts responsibility for the condition of the bike.

If an un-scrutineered bike doesn't meet the standard laid down in the ACU hand book, then it is the riders responsibility. Carry out a check and it shifts to the club.

good point

Flick through the ACU handbook and you'll see that the mudguard dimensions are actually defined for a trials bike.

So no, you can't ride without it. Damage incurred in that particular competition may be a different thing though I guess the clerk of the course could exclude any bike at any time if he thinks it is dangerous or outside of the rules