Cub suspension update

hendrik

Bought a T20 cub, want to optimise it, but it should still be a pre 65, not a Twin shock with old engine....

What are youre experiences with the fork, oil, springs, modified interials ?

Rear shocks in which lenght ?

20171103_154322.jpg

Edited by hendrik
  • Like 3

Very funny guys here in this forum.... 

Mikuni was fitted by the previus owner, Trailer is a "Koch M4", alloy box from ebay, bike stand from steadystand.....

And now something completely different....

Any ideas about my questions?  

I normaly use NJB experts or Rockshocks on my trials bikes, perhaps the new NJB ultimates will be a good choice , lenght can be adjusted...

The forks are very soft, found nowere in the net harder or progressive springs, don't want to change the complete fork....

• Like 3

http://www.meridenoffroad.co.uk

http://www.upbuk.co.uk/shop/

The above links may be able to help you.

Tidy looking trials Cub, most 199cc Cub engines used for trials are fitted with Dellorto or Mikuni carbs simply because until recently Amal cconcentric choke sizes  started at 22mm which is just too big. The Zenith carb fitted to many Cubs when they were made was 18mm. Amal concentric carb production started around the time that Triumph stopped making the Tiger Cub.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2017 at 9:31 PM, hendrik said:

Bought a T20 cub, want to optimise it, but it should still be a pre 65, not a Twin shock with old engine....

What are youre experiences with the fork, oil, springs, modified interials ?

Rear shocks in which lenght ?

20171103_154322.jpg

Perhaps your original quote " but it should still be a pre 65, not a Twin shock with old engine" may have prompted the responses. If you fit modern shocks and fork internals along with the Mikuni it is hardly "still be pre 65" Modern upgrades are modern upgrades. They especially with regard to the suspension move the performance as far away from how they rode in 1964 that they might have come from a galaxy far far away. Believe me i know i rode them in 1964. They were awful.

Ok, here in germany most pre 65 have modified or new frames with modern geometry,  twinshock forks and brakes ( Grimeca or TY ), a pre65 with stock frame, fork, wheels and brakes is rare, so if I only modify the triumph fork and put some standart shocks on it, it will be more pre65 than 90% of all other bikes....

For me, a armac or UPB cub is a twinshock with old engine and not a pre65...

• Like 3

Hendrik, that is a great looking bike. I too use a Mikuni on my cub and it's amazing, it starts first kick and so far has never let me down. It also helps that the club I ride in doesn't mind. I know some clubs will not allow pre 65 bikes to run Japanese carbs.

Anyway,with the shocks I faced the same dilemma as you. I ended up going for NJB Experts for a few reasons. I heard great things, the price was good and they didn't look too modern. They have been great so far, no complaints. I also use steel falcon shocks on my Fantic and they too are great, and rebuildable. I hear great things about Rockshocks, but for me they just looked too modern. 

I can't help you with the forks as my bike came with Metal profile. I'd love to get my hands on some heavyweight triumph forks one day though.

ttc.jpg

• Like 4

I have always thought that the softer the better for MX or Trials, to give you the best ride.

The forks should bottom out at least once on every lap of a MX track or during trials sections, that is what bottom stops are there for.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We used Triumph forks like those in rigid Velo's in the '60's, just changed the oil to suit rider weight. The higher viscosity oil made for a firmer shock for heavier riders, hardest thing was getting the valving right for the lightweight folk.

• 6 months later...

Cub is nearly finished now, I use NJB ultimate shocks, mount Miller swing arm, sub frame and seat, also new alloy mudguards, oil is now in the frame.

Exhaust made by  progressiveclassicproducts

Cub-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2