Youth Championships - 2018

laird387a

There is concern amongst those involved in the youth championships, by the provisional dates allocated for 2018.  In several instances there appear to be plans to hold one trial for A and B classes on one day of a weekend then another for the C and D classes on the second day.  The problem arises since one needs to consider numbers of potential riders in the various classes, as far as the organisers are concerned, will just two classes competing raise enough riders?  

Then there is the impact on expense as far as the parents are concerned. For example those with more than one child competing could be facing overnight stay costs for several weekends of the year for the whole family.

My point in raising this query now is to give adequate warning whilst there may be time to reconsider running all four classes on the same day..............

Is there a change next year to put A class back into youth class ? (Having an "elite " A class running worth british experts ).

Does this mean good centre riders will have more chance of getting round? Any idea how many rounds are planned next year ?

cheers 

john

There always used to be the elite A class at adult BTC rounds and they rode the expert class and it was limited to 5 riders but wasn't an actual championship.

I asked to run A,B,C & D all on one day as I thought it would be better for everybody and we have been given a round which I'm very happy with as we only have to run one trial rather than 2 and it saves money for the poor parents. I see we actually clash with an adult BTC in Devon so it'll be interesting if that impacts the entry at all in A class.

Let me explain. Incorporated into the RT Keedwell British Championship for 2018 there will be a Youth Elite class - NOTE that this is not necessarily just A class riders, but could also include the very best B class riders. Those who rode the Youth A in 2017 which was in the BTC series are automatically eligible for the 2018 Youth Elite. Others who wish to ride the Youth Elite in 2018 need to apply (later - not now!!) for approval. There will also be Youth A and B classes in the separate Acklams Beta Championship. Riders in the Youth Elite can also ride the Youth A/B in the Youth championship, but points can only be scored in one class, i.e. if the rider scores a point in the Youth Elite, he can ride the Youth A as well but will not be eligible for points.

The Acklams Beta sponsored Youth Championship for A/B/C/D riders has attracted several applications. Some clubs have requested to run all four classes on the one day; others have requested to run C/D on one day and A/B on another. Some clubs have requested to run just C/D or A/B - all the applications have been granted, so it is not the ACU who have specified how the series will be run, it is down to the clubs themselves.

A very provisional set of dates was released earlier this week, but inevitably, once that was released there were requests for alterations which we have done our best to accommodate. What SHOULD be the final set of dates is likely to be available by the weekend in time for Centre's potential meetings on Remembrance Sunday.

Let me say that it has been a horrendous task compiling the dates and trying to avoid clashes and to keep everybody happy. It is not possible to totally avoid potential clashes, simply there are not enough summer weekends to achieve that. Some clubs have not helped; late applications, missing information, applications sent to the wrong e-mail address etc, equally, in trying to sort everything out there have been some mistakes made by us. However, it is now just about sorted though inevitably there are could still be changes later due to unforeseen circumstances.

Accept the fact that we have done our best but we recognise that not everybody will be happy.

Edited by hillary
Error made
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hillary said:

Why does it sound like a mess, perhaps you haven't read it correctly, response so far outside of this site has been positive. Perhaps you might like to explain further what YOU would do.

Im quite sure i have read your post correctly.

From your post i understand (correct me if you have worded it incorrectly) there are 2 youth A championships and an "eligible" youth cant score points in both. Does anyone actually expect a good entry at the Acklams youth A events? Dividing championships only decreases numbers, isnt the idea to try and increase numbers?

Edited by faussy

My comment

This year an A class youth had to ride with British experts, no other choice.

Next  year there is an A class and B class youth on the same day. Elite A or B I would imagine would choose to ride with the BTC. Hopefully an A and B in youths class will be sufficiently tough for good centre youths leaving the elite to battle it out on a tougher course ( to bring them on).

Hopefully this will have increased youth class entries

My son is a good centre rider about to go to A class. At this point I would not put him in BTC experts, but would consider in an A class youth championship

thanks

John

2 hours ago, faussy said:

Im quite sure i have read your post correctly.

From your post i understand (correct me if you have worded it incorrectly) there are 2 youth A championships and an "eligible" youth cant score points in both. Does anyone actually expect a good entry at the Acklams youth A events? Dividing championships only decreases numbers, isnt the idea to try and increase numbers?

I think you are completely missing the point. There are without doubt A class lads most years who need the top test of BTC. To have a championship as well is only fair and sensible.

Alongside this there are A class who wouldn't do the BTC so I'm sure this will increase overall participation.

• Like 1

The idea of having an Elite Youth (only for the best A and a few B riders) and a separate Youth A class in the Acklams series, we hope will result in a greater number of A class riders competing.

When the A class was only available over the Expert route in the Keedwell BTC series, there was nowhere for the less able A class riders to go for a championship. We know of many A class riders who were simply not good enough to ride the Keedwell rounds (even though some did), but now there is a championship for them which hopefully will bring them on so that as they reach their last year in A class they can move up to Elite Youth.

All sports need stepping stones to progress and with this change we hope to provide the stepping stone that has been missing for the past few years.

• Like 2