315 Pistons

nigel dabster

Does anyone know how to identify or has access to a technical manual for vertex pistons as I was told one of the beta ones will fit a 315?

Know alba made their own but got bad feedback so wondered if the vertex would be an option over oem

Edited by nigel dabster

We had a long look through and emailed all the piston manufacturers we could think of, but unfortunately there isn't any perfect options that we know of.  S3 are contemplating the idea of having a batch made, fingers crossed they will think the market is big enough to warrant it.

If anyone does know if anything that will work, we would love to know.

• Like 2

Hi,

If you are looking for numbers, put me down for a couple. 100% certain they will be a top seller. Something must fit the bill out there also, even if a bit of modifying is required. Surely mr Honda must be aware of 315 popularity. Pity they don't do a vintage parts inventory like Suzuki. 

Hi, I have just bought a 99 315r which needs a piston, i did not realise that this would be so difficult and expensive !!! My motocross days (long gone) presented no such issues, 50 for a piston and 30 for a rebore !!!

I found this lot  https://www.sadboyracing.com/online-shop/ who do piston kits they are not cheap, I was warned of the quality of the rings on the standard kit so I bought the racing piston kit at 245 !! They only take paypal and the exchange rate is not at all good.

I don't have much choice so have had to bite the bitter bullet and pay up, The guy at splatshop said they are doing their best to source piston rings, they do have pistons at a reasonable price just no rings at the moment.

Rings can be bought from https://jbanyeres.com/en/home/2684-kit-3-original-piston-rings-for-montesa-cota-315r-all-year.html 

€155 for three rings which will match splatshop pistons, still an expensive kit I do not know anything about the quality of the rings, the pistons from splatshop are Honda so no issues there.

Hope this helps.

Alec

Edited by dwayne

I don't know if they are  in stock at splatshop or not, but they can get pistons size A,B OR C, for about £80, no rings to go with them. They are trying to get rings in.

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/montesa-cota-315r-piston.html

in stock here  https://www.sadboyracing.com/online-shop/

Edited by dwayne

Hi all,

I got the new piston, it has only two rings with it, there are no identifying marks or makers name on it. Wrapped in a soft grease proof paper in a plain box.

I have sent it and the cylinder to Langcourts, i am waiting for them to get back to me with a price for fixing the cylinder and matching it to the piston. Fingers crossed.:unsure:

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2017 at 11:27 PM, dwayne said:

Hi all,

I got the new piston, it has only two rings with it, there are no identifying marks or makers name on it. Wrapped in a soft grease proof paper in a plain box.

I have sent it and the cylinder to Langcourts, i am waiting for them to get back to me with a price for fixing the cylinder and matching it to the piston. Fingers crossed.:unsure:

Hey Dwayne,

What piston did you get and where from and did it work ok

Edited by Andyb1987
Spelling