Getting bike fit??

pancho247

Typical ND negativity - deriding something you know nothing about.

See https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/competition/canoe-polo/

I came across this sport purely by chance, it happens to take place at a couple of places I visit. Trials could learn a lot from it. It has a proper coaching structure, equipment for hire and is backed by and welcomed by local authorities and national parks. The increase in fitness / physique that many participants undergo in only a few months is quite remarkable. Unlike trials it is a fast growing sport.

A bit off topic here but there is another sport I participate in (nothing to do with trials bike fitness) and both local clubs have full memberships and waiting lists - something many trials organisers and trials bike dealers can only dream of.

17 hours ago, turbofurball said:

You should take up competitive cheese rolling, it's a grate workout :)

You should try spelling classes! its a GREATer workout.

Regarding the video, I have never seen anyone knocked out cold but I was present (I do a bit of open water swimming) when a lad had to be hauled out of the water after a collision and although he could be supported against a car on his feet he was out of it with his eyes rolling and no idea where he was. He was back next week for another go though.

Perhaps the initiator of this topic could give us his opinion of the replies he has received. Not quite gym exercises perhaps although plenty of suggestions of activities to do on winter evenings when bike practice is out. Having said that there is an MTB club who ride in the dark on winter evenings using multiple head torches. I have seen them out at about 10:30 in the evening in some pretty bad weather.

I seriously underestimated the physical challenge of trials when I got my bike this year. Racing in a 2 hr hare scramble is nothing compared to going thru a section over and over nonstop, no way I could ride the trials bike doing japzaps over logs for 2 hours straight! I think with more experience I'm starting to loosen up. Riding slow and focusing on my balance trying to do stuff as slow as possible is what gets me tired. If something isn't challenging enough, just do it slower haha. 

• 3 weeks later...

whatever you decide to do make sure you have some structure and goals otherwise you can't tell if you've improved and then if what you are doing is having a positive effect on your riding, start small say 2-3x a week for an hour whatever you choose to do build up and try to have a 4 week plan gradually increasing your overall volume up to week 4 then reduce for the last week this is where your body will recover and get stronger hope this helps 

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, strengthcoach said:

If you have access to a Squat Rack and Barbell, I would recommend a basic barbell program. Squats, Dead-lifts, and presses will produce gains in overall strength that is useful and applicable to athletics.

How about kettlebells? Don't have access to a barbell rack, curious if KB program can be a solid substitute?

10 hours ago, cackallacky said:

How about kettlebells? Don't have access to a barbell rack, curious if KB program can be a solid substitute?

Oh absolutely, I use Kettlebells with 90% of my clients....Housewives to athletes. KB training has a great carry over to Trials. I wrote an article in "On the Pegs" magazine about Kettlebells if you'd like I can post the link.