Diy Box Trailer

fordson major

I'm thinking of converting my two bike trailer into a box trailer so that scallywaggs don't see the bike as I go through towns on my way to a trial. B)

Does anyone know what kind of sheet e.t.c is used for the side panels and where I could get it from?

Replies would be appreciated

Edited by Beta120690

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 years later...

I would suggest that you make the box trailer just tall enough to accomodate the bike. If I was designing this I would be thinking very carefully about the wind loading / drag effect on the trailer. Reducing the profile will at least make for a reduction in wind loading and the chances of your new box trailer lifting / exploding and taking your bike with it.

Another option would be to taper the front to aid aerodynamics. I would be looking for a scrapped luton van or similar to butcher some bits off.

I think marine ply would be good for sides and tail, then I would try to utilise the van bits for the front and roof. The advantage being that the van bits should be aerodynamicaly formed and nice and light. You'd want to keep that weight off the roof if possible to lower the C of G.

Sorry the long post, I love things like this. :rotfl:

I have often fancied doing this but got the use of a van at the moment.

I was contemplating having it hinged so the height is minimal but could be lifted open to give good access to bikes or for shelter from the sun !!! when getting changed.

Ifor Williams have a catalogue with all the parts available individually that they use on their trailers/horse boxes which might come in useful for the tricky bits. Towsure also do lots of bits like hinges, catches etc.

Keep an eye on overall weight of using unbraked chassis. Brakes are needed over a certain limit.

Good luck

Build a frame using thin gauge 25mm steel box section. Six uprights (one in each corner, one in the middle of the sides) Add diaganol supports from the centre uprights. Don't worry if seems a little flimsy at this stage. The front of the roof should slope for aerodynamics.

The sides are best skinned with aluminimum sheet. Rivet the sheet to your framework, on the diaganol's of the sheet industrial double sided sticky tape will be ok (just stops the drumming noise). An alternative to Ali could be galvanised sheet. I bought some 8x4 Galv sheets a few years ago for just

I was contemplating having it hinged so the height is minimal but could be lifted open to give good access to bikes or for shelter from the sun !!!

An old snowmobile trailer does just that.

Zippy, have you seen Brockway's trailer like this? Maybe he'll read this thread and post a pic.

Gaby Posted Today, 12:29 PM

Zippy,

You are a true hillbilly or handyman or...whatever! biggrin.gif

I like it.

I are a Redneck through and through. :rotfl:

Is that the trailer he had in Rose City. Yep just tall enough on the sides to be at the top of the bikes, and he pulls a tarp across the top. Seems to work well.

• 1 year later...

I'm aware that this is an old'ish post, but fibreglass sheet was mentioned, for a roof.

Coincidentally, I need to construct something similar; can anybody tell me where fibreglass sheet can be obtained, please?

John

• 1 month later...