2016 Evo 4T - replace rear spring w/o pulling shock?

markbxr400

Have done searches, and can't find much on the way of getting to the rear shock assembly on an EVO 4T to replace the spring.  I've read where some have had to pull the air boot, pull the exhaust, kick stand and the entire shock linkage assembly to get the shock out.

I'm just wanting to replace my spring.  If I pull the exhaust, pull the top bolt and then spin back the large spring lock nuts,

1. Does the large slotted washer at the top of the shock simply slide out?

2. Would it then be possible to let the swingarm fall a little more after removing the top shock bolt and wiggle the spring out from the top?

If not, what is the simplest way to get at the rear spring?  

I'll measure where the shock lock nuts are to get the pre-load back close to where it was with the other spring, but then I plan to adjust my static and rider sag anyway when I'm done.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

IMG_7884.JPG

IMG_7885.JPG

IMG_7886.JPG

Why wouldn't you want to take it all apart? Everything has to be greased anyways. Not a lot of grease in there to begin with, and on two of my new Betas i found that the bushings/washers had broken a portion off, thus would have let in water in. While your at it (and you have the rear wheel off) get a couple of little picks and carefully remove the outer seal of the wheel bearings and grease them too! Unless your one of those guy's who gets a new bike every year!

• Like 3

Ive changed the spring on 16 and 17 without removing the shock although they was 2 strokes so could be different. 

Doesn't take long at all. Pull airbox off

Exhaust silencer off

undo top shock bolt and take the preload off the spring then the collar clips out and pull off the spring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danbillam said:

Ive changed the spring on 16 and 17 without removing the shock although they was 2 strokes so could be different. 

Doesn't take long at all. Pull airbox off

Exhaust silencer off

undo top shock bolt and take the preload off the spring then the collar clips out and pull off the spring.

Thanks, will give it a whirl.  

• Like 1

I'm with Carlos on this one.  Its easier to remove the rear wheel, shock and linkages.  Gives the opportunity to grease the bearings and makes fitting the new spring easier as I clamp it in my vice and can use my compressors to make the job easier.

Thanks for all the concern and advice.  Bike was bought new in the spring.  PO's first order of business was to tear it apart and grease everything. I'm simply wanting to replace the spring at this point.  I have 4 bikes at the moment, have had close to 30 in the past 15 years and do my own maintenance.  It's not that I couldn't do it, it's that it really isn't necessary at the moment, so just wanting to save some time and effort.

Thanks again.