Hopping on rear wheel (Pogo) video included.

Fair play for really attempting at trying to get this. Youre close. Easier to learn on an up slope, which it looks like you are. Work the legs more, bounce on those pegs!! Looks like most of your input is through your arms at the moment

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

A little tough to tell but doesn't seem like you are using your clutch to hop? try keeping your throttle open (not necessarily full open) then drop your clutch and jump at the same time... pull in your clutch in the air and when you land drop the clutch again on the rebound... it seems to me that is the way the top riders do it hoping from rock to rock... The trick is in the timing and the comments above about body position... letting the power of the bike kick you into the air is a great skill to master (I have yet to master it myself so take my comments for what they are worth and don't blame me if you end up on your a***).   

• Like 2

If you watch the video all the way to the end you will see that in the last attempt I get a real hop and off the ground with rear wheel. I have been trying to move the body back as suggested. helps a lot but usually when i do that I tip back forcing me to step off. I wonder if I should let the front wheel lower a bit more before hopping??? Thanks for all the imput. I do believe that I will eventually get this right just with constant practice but I got to say that I m beyond excited that I might be able to hop on the rear soon! That will take my riding to a whole new level.  Cheers

• Like 1

You also need to keep in mind "cover the rear brake" doesn't mean "slam it on" often a little pressure will create enough drag... just realizing brakes and clutches are not on off switches can raise most peoples skills to a new level - people typically figure out the throttle isn't an on off switch fast enough, although I used to ride my street bike that way WFO "on" to go and  no throttle "off" for braking - pretty sure my son drove his 50 that way as well LOL!    

• Like 1

I believe the key to being really good at rear wheel hops is being able to engage the clutch just enough to put pressure on the bike to keep the tire in the air but not so much that you are moving forward... kind of like holding a car on an uphill by engaging the clutch enough that you don't need the brake but the car doesn't roll backwards (sorry to those that don't drive a stick shift as you might not know what I am talking about).

here is a video that you can see that clutch finger hard at work...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just starting to work on this myself, but the weather here isn't cooperating and I'm in between bikes!

I look at it as a progression of skills....  Use your clutch control to work on just holding pressure when you ride over a small log or rock and don't let the front come right down.  Then add in a little rear brake to pause for a second holding pressure at the top off the obstacle. Then some clutch and throttle to jump off the obstacle still holding pressure, instead of rolling off or just dropping the front end.  You're now well on your way to hopping and when you have this down you can apply it without the obstacle.  

I think this is an easier way to put the  skills together, than just beating the crap out of yourself on a slight incline or the flat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On a good day i can put together 6-8 hops before I lose it. My record is 14. So I'm no pro at this so take this with a grain...Slow it down, and think of the move as a throw and a catch. The gas and clutch release is the throw, the rear brake is the catch. Stay back a tad more than you think you should. An incline definitely helps. It took me forever to do even one or two, just stay on it. It'll come.

• 1 month later...

I would practice on that grass slope. It's steeper and would be my choice. 

First thing though is to grab your mountain bike and learn to hop on the rear wheel without moving forward. Lock the shock if its got one. This will teach you to hop without having to zap forward, and will also teach you how to shift your hips to the side as you hop off the ground to jump the bike to the side (and stop it falling over). You will also figure out how to hop backwards and not step back off the bike when the front wheel gets too high (you simply pull the pegs back with your legs). Also, experiment while hopping with the 'bars close to you chest and further away to control front wheel height. Move your knees forward and back too, like you see when people 'manual' bicycles. Got all that?!

Next I practiced/ continue to practice on wheelies on the trials bike in first gear where you almost loop out, then lock the rear wheel, and as the front comes down wheelie off again, and repeat. This is also hard. 

Finally, to get the rear wheel off the ground for the trials bike, it's a very quick stab of the pegs to compress the shock and then a flick of the clutch to accompany the rebound. I practice this from a crawl on flat ground.  A fun trick is to do one hop on to the rear wheel, rear wheel locked, and then jab the pegs and hop backwards about a foot and land on both wheels. It's honestly not that hard, unlike doing successive hops. Good luck!

• Like 2