Hello World, Mark here trying to read a spark plug.

studio208

Hi everyone, if there's someone that might offer a thought on reading this plug it would be appreciated. There's a slight oil residue around the edge, but mostly carbon build up I think, mostly a dark grey colour. It's 6 hours old from a new Gas Gas 250. Motor runs well, no missing or popping, starts 2nd kick (most times) Most running time is only around 15 minutes squirts as my backs shot and wrist is busted. Any thoughts appreciated.

plug.jpg

4 minutes ago, tshock250 said:

Needs a proper run out, 15 minute sessions aren't enough to get engine properly hot enough for a true plug reading, also your exhaust will be starting to fill with unburnt oil.

Thank you, I was wondering if it would be an idea to run a hotter plug and lean it out slightly?

15 minutes is well long enough to get a bike warm and for a plug reading. Dont know what the running time has got to do with unburnt oil in the silencer.

The state that plug is in i doubt if he run the bike continuously for a week it would look any better!

Edited by faussy

Agee, even light riding the fan is usually on within 5 minutes, 10 minutes top. A bike left at tickover for 15 minutes still shouldnt be that sooted oiled up

Looks too rich to me, as opposed to too much oil

Edited by faussy

Definitely looks rich. Id expect a bike that has a plug like that to run noticeably lumpy or nearly oil up. You could lean the mixture, but be very careful because the last thing you want is a new bike running too weak! Usually in the cold weather bikes need a richer mixture, so again, kind of unusual.

Edited by faussy

Not too clear whether this is a brand new bike,or new to you, but that is a very good photo of a very bad plug !

I would check the air filter, if that's been soaked in oil then the bike would run far too rich. I imagine to oil up like that it must feel like it's on the choke all the time, can you give a clearer history of the bike as something is very wrong if that's all brand new.

That plug is sooted up far more than its oiled up so probably nothing to do with oil to fuel ratio. Before I gave any advice I would need to know

1) Oil to fuel ratio and type of oil

2) What sort of use have you been giving the bike - pottering or hard running

3) Plug make and grade

4) Typical air temperature when you have been riding the bike

5) Time with cold start enrichment on

6) Condition of the air filter

In past I have seen bikes that run maybe a shade rich (but perfectly acceptable) in summer but have given the same plug conditions you have when used for short runs in the type of weather (around freezing) that we are having in UK at the moment.

Two things come in my mind when I look at the plug in my experience:

- engine runs too rich and get's too little air in general,
  (cleaning the air filter and just use very very little filter oil)

- bad oil seals at the crank so the engine is sucking gear oil, thus the sooting and plenty of oil in general.

How does the exhaust vapors smell after two stroke oil or more towards burnt motor oil?

1. Yes, the bike is brand new.

2. Filter's clean and not over oiled

3.The exhaust smells rich more than burning oil, more smoke then I would expect however, & smells like choke is on when running, however it isn't.

4. Oil to fuel ratio is 1.5% with Global Racing Oil - Moto2T Off Road 1

5. bike use is mostly pottering.

6. Ambient temp around 27c in Brisbane Au.

7. Time with choke on, a few seconds only to start bike when cold.

8. Plug - NGK-R (BPR5ES)

It's the worst looking plug I've ever seen & is concerning for a new bike.

Edited by studio208
additional info