squeeling

danbillam

half way through a trial yesterday I noticed a faint squeal coming from the engine intermittently on my bike. I thought it was the fan bearing.

after id washed it this morning I started the bike and the intermittent squeal is not the fan as it happens without the fan running.

it sounds like its coming from the waterpump area. anyone else had this on a 16 evo 300 or any other evo at all? was it a case of new bearings or seal etc? 

thanks

Hmmm if you suspect the water pump pull the screws and have a look. Those plastic impellers are known to disembowel themseles occasionally. Best to look and be sure. I usually put one of the Jitsie high volume pumps with the metal impeller on a new bike. Mostly because of all the reports of damaged plastic impellers and a little extra pump capacity couldn’t hurt right? 

Oil bathed bearings usually don’t squeal. They knock or get crunchy  like a rock crusher. Squeals are usually something rubbing. Does the squeal change with crank speed or wheel speed? Does it change under load? Does it occur in neutral? Is it just something like airbox noise? I know my new 2018 has a surprising amount of airbox squeek compared to my older bikes.

Sounds like a fun diagnosis.

Edited by dan williams

Had the same thing happen on my Beta, sounding like a water pump bearing squeeling.   However after it had stood for a week in the garage, it was silent again.   I think the water acts like a lubricant, and can dry out after an hours hot running...  Maybe the pumps are 'greasable' somehow.

it happens in neutral and after running for a while sunday. yesterday it started within a minute of running so not temperature related. 

I've ordered and picking up tomorrow a csp waterpump kit, new bearings and seal, clutch case seal and gear shaft and kickstart seals. 

so ill see if that helps.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, dan williams said:

Ah I like this guy! Buys all the spare parts before even cracking it open.

i was upgrading the waterpump anyway so makes sense to change the bearings and seal whilst doing it. no point in half a job ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome. I bungled putting the Jitsie kit on mine so I need a new  o-ring. Some days it just doesn’t go together like it should. 

On a side note leaving for work the other day my Subaru made a noise like a yard full of barking dogs. Weirdest machine noise I’ve ever heard. It stopped after a minute and remains a mystery.

• 3 years later...

So glad to hear that this fixed everything. So @danbillam you did the upgrade kit (I see it on splatshop), both inner and outer bearing and various seals? I'm trying to get my shopping list together, I had a high pitched squeal develop this past weekend that sounded like it was coming from the water pump area. I'm thinking of replacing the bearings but want to make sure I get everything I might possibly need since the parts need to ship from the UK. (here in the US the bearings are like $25 apiece, which is nuts for a sealed or open race of bearings)