twinshock trials come back ?

Prototype

Check out his wins in the pre 65 Scottish, only bit of film I have of of Sammy riding and he made the rest look very pedestrian.

Edit - The pre 65 Scottish was started in 1984 as an extra to the 6 days event and Sammy Miller was still a very competitive rider on his Ariel

Edited by collyolly
Extra information

On 23/12/2017 at 9:58 AM, collyolly said:

I have to agree about Sammy in the 70's, Bultaco, Bultaco, Bultaco, must have been a demonstration event and If Don Smith was Kawasaki must have been mid 70's

It was a long time ago but it was defo Mr Miller on his Aerial and I used to deal a bit with him. Mr Smith already had a ciggy on the go and he stopped next to where I was standing, definitely asked for a 5 perhaps he wanted to keep clean to show off his bike. I wanted to see him ride this section so it was a disappointment that he didn’t!

On 28/12/2017 at 10:08 AM, section swept said:

It was a long time ago but it was defo Mr Miller on his Aerial and I used to deal a bit with him. Mr Smith already had a ciggy on the go and he stopped next to where I was standing, definitely asked for a 5 perhaps he wanted to keep clean to show off his bike. I wanted to see him ride this section so it was a disappointment that he didn’t!

memory is a funny thing. what "trial" was it?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, section swept said:

Well I remember a certain Don Smith riding a Works Kawasaki KT250 appearing on Blue Peter, he was going to ride over a Coke can without touching it WOW. He was treading on the edge of a “bunny hop!” no less. Erm I remember watching Don at a trial down in Devon area 1970’s one particular section was across a stream up the bank and then a steep climb further up a very narrow ridge. Many riders mad brave attempts but dabbed or fived, then along comes Don and hails to the observer “give us a five mate”. He then proceeded to sit astride his KT 250 and spectate whilst a certain S Miller esquire cleaned the section on his Ariel 500. No disrespect I just remember the event. 

Then we had Kickstart with Peter Purvis commentating. This caught the viewing public’s eye and gave a much needed boost to motorcycle sport. Grandstand did its bit in the 60’s with Scrambling and then M//X the Euro name for the same sport! So the manufacturers got going and needed to have bikes out in front and catching the buyers eye. Maybe a reason for some of the more stand out colours not just for the bikes but the riders too! A few months ago I spotted a guy with M/X Honda at a garage forecourt using the pressure washer. There was a bang and the bike suddenly dropped at the rear, the monoshock had collapsed, at least with a twin shock that doesn’t happen.

As an ex road and competition dealer I can vouch that some buyers, sponsors and riders gave the mono-shock models a wide arc as not yet trustworthy on the track.  Some monoshock designs don’t always mean lightweight design. ???I get in me bomb shelter now!?

I rode in junior Kickstart on a twin shock bike, was doing really well until I went up a jump landed and the rear shocks snapped off the swing arm. The thing that upset me the most was I had done the jump both time in the heats and everything was fine. Then they asked if they could do a filming re-take of some of the obstacles, it was during this re-take when it happened so this is what you see on the tv. My father was extremely displeased and ended up having a "quiet word" around the back of the filming trucks with Peter Purvis and the production staff. Made no odds, they weren't interested in seeing an old "twin shock bike" beat the modern sponsored mono bikes that were new on the scene. 

Just saying... lol.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2017 at 8:13 AM, nigel dabster said:

memory is a funny thing. what "trial" was it?

Southern Experts? Three of us drove down from Hertfordshire in firms ex police Range Rover breakdown. It was so wet and hence very muddy but then Mr Miller does like mud!

9 hours ago, section swept said:

Southern Experts? Three of us drove down from Hertfordshire in firms ex police Range Rover breakdown. It was so wet and hence very muddy but then Mr Miller does like mud!

cant see it adds up as miller on an ariel and don taking 5s, but hey ho.