I've Just Bought a Fantic!

trapezeartist

16 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

What is the "chain link clutch lightener" mod? There's no bit of chain anywhere in the system so I assume I haven't got it. Actually I find the clutch effort to be pretty good. One finger is a bit hard-going but two fingers is fine, and I don't think that reduces my control on the handlebars significantly.

You essentially extend the clutch arm by using a 428 chain link, giving it more leverage and making it slightly easier to pull.

You should be able to make it out in this picture.

STA70824.jpg

• Like 1

That seems pretty straightforward. I'll try that.

That's a nice looking bike Sam. I see you've got rid of that rather pointless toolbox. I'm tempted, just to make cleaning a little bit easier. I'm never likely to put anything in it. Do you have a protector for the swing arm pivot? The chain is being a little bit unkind to the paint on mine.

14 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

That seems pretty straightforward. I'll try that.

That's a nice looking bike Sam. I see you've got rid of that rather pointless toolbox. I'm tempted, just to make cleaning a little bit easier. I'm never likely to put anything in it. Do you have a protector for the swing arm pivot? The chain is being a little bit unkind to the paint on mine.

Thank you, however the bike pictured isn't actually mine. It was just a photo I found on google. Mine (pictured) isn't quite as clean as that. I've never got round to doing the clutch arm mod, mainly because I fitted a set of domino levers and the clutch now feels light enough.

Mine has the toolbox, although I've never used it. I've kept it for originality and the fact that complete air filter/toolboxes are hard to find. I don't have anything protecting my swing arm either, just the tensioner underneath the arm.

They are great bikes though, I should really get mine out more.

IMG_1295.JPG

• Like 2

Yours is nothing to be ashamed of, Sam. I'm holding off the clutch lightener at the moment as it will obviously increase lever travel as well and make it a bit more fiddly to get adjusted right. One day, when I have time for experimenting. I'm really tempted to get rid of the toolbox. Originality is the issue, but my bikes not that original anyway and I do like to get rid of things that don't perform any useful function. I really need to sort something out on the chain/swingarm issue. I've protected it with PVC insulating tape for the moment but I'll be lucky if that lasts five minutes. I see you've got a nice clever re-routing of the rear brake rod. That's another point of where on the paint on my bike, so I need to do something.

• Like 1

It's funny you should mention the brake rod, as it's one of the things I want to change. The previous owner had routed it like that, because if it takes the original path (inside the shock) then it get's pinched by the spring. This is mainly due to the way the falcon shocks have been put in. If they were upside down then it wouldn't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2017 at 5:26 PM, trapezeartist said:

s-l1600.jpg

Thatt's an absolute Beaut. i have a 125 version of thi bike and it's lovely to ride. Is this the one which was on ebay recently?? Think the guy gave a helmet and some trousers with it also. If I had had room i would have gone for it. It was listed as all original. It's a stunning wherever you got it from. Good buy :-)

Edited by Julian Taff

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/2/2018 at 7:49 PM, robbiesty175 said:

When I saw Brewtus found one, I had to grab this 305!   Rode it around the yard today and it's going to be an awesome bike!!!  She needs some love, as a former owner thrashed it around pretty hard. I have some grand plans for her... 

IMG_0485.JPG

Nice Robbie!  Pulled-back bars and dropped levers say it was beat on by a go-fast guy.  Looking forward to seeing what you do to that scoot.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brewtus said:

Nice Robbie!  Pulled-back bars and dropped levers say it was beat on by a go-fast guy.  Looking forward to seeing what you do to that scoot.  :thumbup:

If I'm aboard, it's going S-L-O-W...  ;)  Thanks for the encouragement and looking forward to a fun ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1