Is trials a motor sport?

petorius

Filling in an insurance form for work this morning, essentially insurance to cover the company if i was to become ill or incapacitated.

In the leisure question it asks if i take part in any hazardous activities, one box listed is Motor Sports.

In Oxford dictionary (US version) Motorsport (one word rather than two) is defined as  'A sport involving the racing of motor vehicles, especially cars and motorcycles'.

I guess i will have to tick yes, i do take part in motor sports, the bike has an engine after all and then wait for the follow on form to give details, even though trials is not actually racing. I assume others do the same but suspect the premium penalty will be the same as if i was road racing which seems unfair.

I think youre taking the definition provided by the dictionary too literally. I would go as far to say the dictionary is inaccurate or wrong (certainly not the first time). Wikipedia (not exactly a more reliable source lol) has a section on non racing motorsports which includes trials.

Its impossible to define it as anything else im afraid, and one person that would definitely view it as a sport would be your insurance company if the situation ever arose. They look for a chance to get out of everything 

Edited by faussy

I would not claim that trials is a race. Abunch of old guys watching one person ride his bike is more like watching a gymnast on a balance beam. Usually a poor one at tha

Which is another reason to ride no stop events. Leave the clock out of it.

• Like 1

Not sure on the personal side of things but as a person who puts on events trials are not considered a "timed event" or race they are considered more like trail riding on a dirt bike or an ATV compared to racing an Enduro or MX type event. I would certainly think it would be worth asking the question... the insurance company I work with understands the risk of serious injury is much less when it is not a "timed event" (that is there terminology). Do you knw how much more you will have to pay for your coverage based on your answer? If it doesn't cost you anything extra I would call it a motorsport and then if you ever do decide to get into a race with somebody you will be covered. The tricky bit is finding a person at an insurance company that has heard of trials before!   

7 hours ago, petorius said:

Filling in an insurance form for work this morning, essentially insurance to cover the company if i was to become ill or incapacitated.

In the leisure question it asks if i take part in any hazardous activities, one box listed is Motor Sports.

In Oxford dictionary (US version) Motorsport (one word rather than two) is defined as  'A sport involving the racing of motor vehicles, especially cars and motorcycles'.

I guess i will have to tick yes, i do take part in motor sports, the bike has an engine after all and then wait for the follow on form to give details, even though trials is not actually racing. I assume others do the same but suspect the premium penalty will be the same as if i was road racing which seems unfair.

The answer lies in the wording of the standard ACU entry form, assuming you ride ACU.  I daresay AMCA forms are similarly worded.  Have you actually read it before signing at any time?  There are those who would consider it prudent to be familiar with a document that could be used for or against them in a court of law (which, sadly, is the reason why these forms exist).

Motorcycle Trials is classified as a motorsport. All ACU/SACU declarations are worded accordingly:

Acknowledgement of the risks of motorsport: I understand that by taking part in this event I am exposed to a risk of death, becoming permanently disabled or suffering some other serious injury and I acknowledge that even in the event that negligence on the part of the ACU, the SACU, the promoter, the organising club, the venue owner, or any individual carrying out duties on their behalf were to be a contributory cause of any serious injury I may suffer, the dominant cause of any serious injury will always be my voluntary decision to take part in a high risk activity.

Big John