1979 Fantic 200 engine removal

Gwill007

Hello and advice please. I have a Fantic 200 - FM350 that I hope to restore. I have completely stripped the bike and all accessories from the engine and now trying to remove the engine but can't get it out of the frame. Do I need to remove the cylinder head or is there a trick to get it out. Cheers

It is possible to take the engine out and exhaust off as well as  putting them back in without taking the head off. I forget each time how I did it so spend 1/2 hour or more thinking it impossible before working out how to do it. I can't help you as I have forgotten again but there are only 4 nuts holding the head on so I would not lose a lot of time struggling.

good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Thing is...getting back in without chipping the new paint. I'm doing mine at the moment, took the head off for that reason. Glad I did now as the bolts are full of oil, think it's been blowing from head and or base gasket. Im hoping it just wasn't torqued up right.  

3 minutes ago, oni nou said:

How about covering painted areas with some strips of electrical tape or similar while trying to fit parts together....no chipped paint.

Sounds like a plan. They are very tight and fiddly, I really didn't think I'd get it out without taking the head off, and then thought about getting it back in...much easyer.

• Like 1