Best Twinshock frame geometry/handling wise

Prototype

Best Twinshock frame geometry/handling wise  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Never rode all the below , just curious what best twinshock bike frame gemetry/handling wise..

• Yamaha TY
    • Suzuki Beamish
    • Fantic 200
    • Kawasaki KT
    • Bultaco
    • Montesa Cota
    • Ariel HT
    • OSSA MAR
    • Honda TL

Narrow yokes?  Are we referring to what are also called triple clamps?

Narrow vs wide, does this deal primarily with how the front flexes when the bars are turned?  Or is there more to it than that?

3 hours ago, pmk said:

Narrow yokes?  Are we referring to what are also called triple clamps?

Narrow vs wide, does this deal primarily with how the front flexes when the bars are turned?  Or is there more to it than that?

Yes also called triple clamps. I think there is something about flex /leverage / deflection which isn't helped by a narrow triple clamp. Nobody copied it , let's put it that way 

Edited by baldilocks

8 hours ago, baldilocks said:

@nigel dabster the 242 yokes were different again and I think the 242 was a much better all round bike. Similar power to 240 Fantic but it didn't stall as easy. 

Funny that as I hate montesas, but gainst my better judgement I bought a 242 and its a cracking bike, and as good in standard form as any 200 fantic if not a better motor.

Im sure its the best under rated twinshock out there.

• Like 4

Well when the 242 came out my dad didn't sell Fantic. We did take 240 Fantics in part ex against new 242s. The montesa was thought to grip better. Personally I thought the Fantic forks, gearbox  and clutch were better but as an all round package the mont certainly held its own.

• Like 3

So with all the ideas posted so far, is there any magic set of angles for steering head angle that works better than others.

i openly admit never riding most of those bikes.  I do find the MAR turns well, but does sometimes tend to try and tuck the front wheel in a tight turn.When this happens, things kind of stop rolling and the front tire slides unless you straighten the bars a bit.  Almost feels as if there is too much offset in the triple clamps.

Edited by pmk

What you have described is an indication that the trail dimension is currently less than ideal. You can increase the trail by lowering the rear of the bike or raising the front, or both. It can also be increased by reducing the offset as you have said.

Riding technique also has a big effect on what you are experiencing.

For the front end to work properly in tight turns on many twinshocks, the bike needs to be leaned towards the inside of the turn (probably a lot more than you think is normal) and the rider's weight should be on the outside footpeg.

My choice would be the Fantic 240 assuming all are stock standard as new.

But a huge amount can be done to stuff up the handling or improve it with ride height, shock/ springs etc, as we all know.

You can make a pig into something that goes really well, with a bit of knowledge. The pigger it is, the more you will have to do.

I made a KT250 go quite well. Took a lot of work. Still got to work on the front forks, (still standard).

If I didn't have to work on it, It would take half the fun away

• Like 5

• 9 months later...
On 10/01/2018 at 2:48 AM, still trying said:

My choice would be the Fantic 240 assuming all are stock standard as new.

But a huge amount can be done to stuff up the handling or improve it with ride height, shock/ springs etc, as we all know.

You can make a pig into something that goes really well, with a bit of knowledge. The pigger it is, the more you will have to do.

I made a KT250 go quite well. Took a lot of work. Still got to work on the front forks, (still standard).

If I didn't have to work on it, It would take half the fun away

have you tried a 242?

• 1 year later...

I have a one off TL 125 frame and I am thinking of installing an adjustable head set like the old boyd and stellings units.  It would seem to be hugely adjustable -- but maybe more confusing.  Have any of you seen this?  Pete 

46792886_2222373577786983_218461458516672512_n.jpg

Edited by pinsx3
forgot picture