Beta 270 beginners bike ?

chappers

Hi. Was wanting to get started in trials and have been looking for a beta or gas gas 250 but have seen a nice beta rev 3 270 for sale at a good price.  Do you guys think the 270 would be ok for a beginner or should I wait and try and get a 250.

On 31/12/2017 at 10:04 AM, chappers said:

Hi. Was wanting to get started in trials and have been looking for a beta or gas gas 250 but have seen a nice beta rev 3 270 for sale at a good price.  Do you guys think the 270 would be ok for a beginner or should I wait and try and get a 250.

A Beta 250 or even better a 200 would be the best choice for you.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1

• Andy locked and unlocked this topic

Be alright with a slow action twistgrip.Condition is very important when buying secondhand trials bikes,if it's that good and the price is right buy it .They were considered poky back then,but bikes have become more powerful since then.My son started off on a2002 270 Beta at 15 after a ty80 and was fine

You can make the bike easier to ride buy using the slow (black) throttle tube. I believe most British bikes came with a heavier flywheel. Can alway's add an extra gasket to the bottom of the barrel, lowering the compression. Ideally a 200cc Beta is the best bike out there for a newbie.

• Like 1

There are beginners of all different types. Much depends on riding experiance and physicality. A 250lb athletic enduro rider might handle more power than a 100lb teenage girl but the basic techniques are the same regardless of engine size which is why you will get your ass handed to you at events by teenage girls and old men. Bigger motors have more grunt and can be more tiring to ride but are also able to deal with fast loop trails and there is no substitute for pulling you out of a low speed greasy up hill that you got into too slow. A bigger engine can be detuned but a smaller engine is, well smaller. The other thing to be aware of is sometimes the smaller engines are tuned a bit peakier as some were intended to be quickr revving than the bigger bikes. Beta in particular have oscillated back and forth over the years on the tuning of top models. For example the ‘94 Techno was a high revving abrupt bike that experts loved while everyone else crashed their asses off. The ‘95 was a much easier to ride bike and the big  ‘96 was considered by many to be too soft but the 250 was peaky and popular with experts.

You really have to try a bike to see if it fits what you need but you will in any case adjust somewhat to fit the bike you’re on because no matter what you choose the bike is never the limiting factor.

As pointed out a well maintained bike is the first thing to consider. For that an older rider’s bike is probably best as they don’t beat up their bikes and have the money to replace what they break.

• Like 1

i am also a beginner, i have got a GG txt pro 280 2005 3 months ago, and honestly i would of expected it to be more aggressive, but the power doesn't really get me in any problems. or maybe i just don't rev it enough for it to be as described by all the experiented riders.