pommyjon

Passing of Tom Ollerton, Bultaco Pioneer.

Condolences on your loss John but thank you for sharing your dad’s piece of trials history. I’m sure there were many amazing stories that came with those photos.

Sorry for your loss, your Dad sounds like a true pioneer and must have been quite the rider to be in the SSDT so many times!

Great story. And then they say bultacos arent pre65 

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

Sad to hear your news. My uncle, Ken Martin also worked for Anelays, some years later I had an ex-SSTD 199a from my cousin. So the story went my uncle made call to Spain to get a new 199a for my cousin.

Sold it many years ago, and been looking for it for the last 15 years. So if anyone has 199*6452, or the remnants of it please let me know.

Not sure if you've seen this Sherpa N write up.

http://www.bsaotter.com/the_dan_shorey_bultaco_sherpa_n_trials..html

Pommyjon I hope that you and your family can accept the condolences of complete strangers, me included, but I wonder where Bultaco would have been if your father had not got involved with modifying the 196cc trail bike! Your father is a part of history and possibly a legend for what he started. Maybe a club would honour your fathers memory and create an award for innovation or some such contribution to trials. To me Tom Ollerton is just as famous as many of the other well known names in this sport. 

• Like 1

Late to this but I am reasonably sure my Dad (Jim Crossley) introduced Tom to me at Barbon hillclimb. Dad was a founder member of Darwen MCC and rode one of John Anelay's motorcycles in the TT. At the time when I met him I had just got my first Sherpa and there was much discussed re the development that Tom and John had provided Bultaco for a certain SM to then claim as his own. I think the understanding they all had was engineering is engineering but business is business!   

• Like 1