Boot repair

john b

Hi there

anyone know of someone who repairs trials boots ?

the front of the sole has come apart on my gaernes (they are a year old and had very little use) - I think I've caught the very front on a rock and ripped the stitching.

ive tried local cobbler but he said he couldn't do anything ?

I'm in north east but don't mind posting if anyone can help

cheers

john

image.jpeg

There is a cobblers in Barnard Castle (near Morrisons supermarket) who reglue a pair for about £30 but it does not always last. If you have their soles fitted it costs about another £30 but they are much more likely to stay stuck on. Their soles are like a rough walking boot and a bit softer than typical trials boot soles.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/fitting/boot-resoling/

I have never used Altberg but I used to hear good things about them (MX and walking boots - not heard of anyone using them for a long time). I think a resole for a pair is about £60 to £90

5 hours ago, dadof2 said:

There is a cobblers in Barnard Castle (near Morrisons supermarket) who reglue a pair for about £30 but it does not always last. If you have their soles fitted it costs about another £30 but they are much more likely to stay stuck on. Their soles are like a rough walking boot and a bit softer than typical trials boot soles.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/fitting/boot-resoling/

I have never used Altberg but I used to hear good things about them (MX and walking boots - not heard of anyone using them for a long time). I think a resole for a pair is about £60 to £90

Thanks for that - might try the cobblers in barney 

to be honest if I can get another year it's worth it

cheers

john 

There's a brilliant cobbler in Northallerton. (Zetland street I think, just off the high street). He repairs off road boots on a regular basis & has done some brilliant repairs for me & lots of others. Bit of a trek for you, but he can do it while you wait if you give him fair warning. 

Might try a repair yourself.

3M 5200 Polyurathane glue can be bought at marine hardware stores, comes in white or black.

Spread the glue, clamp, and wait a week. It will dry and be like rubber, very plyable.

Just dont get the glue on anything you dont want glued!!!

I have found that 5200 can be used to repair sidewall punctures in tires too.

They also make a 5200 Fast Cure but the original is better if you have the time.

Gorilla glue seems to be very similar to polyurethane glue, At about £6 to do boots quite a few times its cheap and works fairly well, its what I currently use. I can never understand why soles sometimes come off and sometimes not. I have had boots that the soles have remained in place for years, yet have had boots of the same make and size when the soles have come off after little use in less than 2 years. The tendency of soles to come off seems unrelated to age, amount and type of use.

MX soles do seem to be harder and come off more frequently. Fitting a small steel cap round the front of the soles delays sole separation and makes home gluing worthwhile.