Jap zap & double blip timing tips

Sheepy

Hi all,

Hoping you could all help with a bit of technique. recently started practicing jap japs & double blips but I’m struggling to get a grasp of the timing! I have watched most of the videos I can find and I have a good grasp of what I should be doing. Is practicing these techniques easier on medium sized objects or small stuff? with the double blip I feel I’m going to quick into it without using the clutch? Should I be feathering the clutch on the run up to slow down? Is there any other excersise I can do to get better at timing/de-weighting?

thanks for your help in advance 

p.s does anyone know where there’s some talent for sale?

trials training wales  - sign up and come along and we can help.

A medium size object is good - 2 to 2.5 ft = you should be virtually walking pace and all technique and body movement

Its often hard to understand what you are doing unless you have somebody watching and advising.

Are you competing in south wales - ask at a trial or join in at a practice venue.

All the best

• Like 1

I think you have just got to control what the front wheel is doing, and don't let it drop too early.  Just control the revs to achieve this, and don't think too much about doing two blips.   You could try riding over two or three logs spaced two-three metres apart, don't let the front wheel drop before the next log, just hit them all with the rear tyre.

it's easier doing it than trying to explain it..!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyl said:

trials training wales  - sign up and come along and we can help.

A medium size object is good - 2 to 2.5 ft = you should be virtually walking pace and all technique and body movement

Its often hard to understand what you are doing unless you have somebody watching and advising.

Are you competing in south wales - ask at a trial or join in at a practice venue.

All the best

I have a tractor tire I’ve been practicing on,I find I’m either slamming the back wheel into it or the back wheel is landing on top of it. I forgot to mention I’ve been using a small stone as a kicker and I can do it every time. Without the kicker is a different story though! 

Thanks scifi ill I’ll try that tomorrow! Do you think going down a tooth on the front sprocket would help? As first gear just doesn’t feel slow enough

thanks for your replies! 

Slowness is not really such a good thing..   You can 'throw' the bike much further in second gear, ( and even further in third. ).   But it can get out of control so much more quickly.   

After a log you need to keep the front wheel high (with a blip) so that you land on the back wheel first.   Maybe try jumping off a 'table-top' to get that part correct.    What you are trying to avoid is going down a steep step front wheel first, as it will dig in at the bottom of the step, and chuck you over the bars...

If you can get somebody to take  video of you giving it a try it could help you to analyze how you are doing.... and if you post it I am sure lots of people will have opinions.

You may not have seen this video as it is a guy on an enduro bike but he does explain the timing pretty well...

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys,I’ll take a video later on today and post it tonight. After the blip and compression should I be pulling up on the bars or is it all legs? I’ll practice the ‘table top’ today too

again,thanks guys 

Thanks Craig,today I’ve just been practicing unloading the back wheel over a small log to get the timing right. I’m very slowly getting better! Also been practicing back & front wheel hops to get better at using the suspension to my advantage. 

Thanks for your replies!

On 10/01/2018 at 3:40 AM, michael_t said:

If you can get somebody to take  video of you giving it a try it could help you to analyze how you are doing.... and if you post it I am sure lots of people will have opinions.

You may not have seen this video as it is a guy on an enduro bike but he does explain the timing pretty well...

I've been following their "how to ride observed trials" videos which has helped me with getting into trials..... watch, try, try, try, watch.... rinse repeat.  Joining a club a better bet long term though, you'll learn much more.

On 11/01/2018 at 11:04 PM, craig10 said:

Great slo-mo of Graham Jarvis double blipping here.  Yes it's an enduro bike but all his techniques come from trials.

Table Top and rear wheel first or face plant = this video - watch and learn!  Done that myself a few time bottling it coming down off a few higher table tops where I practice. :D