Ty 175 swingarm bolt

steve1979

Hi there, I've recently taken on a new ty 175 project, she needs it all. The ty 80 I did for my boy last year was just as bad and turned out nice. I've started stripping the frame to get it shot blasted but when I went to remove the swingarm I got the standard seized bolt. Doing searches basically states the only way forward at this point is cut the bolt free and replace the bushes, bearings etc. I would be doing this anyway but I'm wondering where can you buy a replacement bolt? Or is it simply a case of measurement and order a bolt from anywhere that will sell a m12 bolt in the right length or is there somewhere you can buy direct. I did see a website selling a kit for £110 which was bushes etc inc said bolt but I see eBay places selling all balls kits without bolt for £30 ish could the bolt really be worth £80 lol 

Ah, excellent I'll look that up. I use yambits for a lot of the spares. They seem very reasonable in their prices. I ordered the all balls kit and I was looking up bolts on the Internet. I found high tensile bolts the right length I think I'll use and also found a stainless bolt, marginally longer but it could be possibly cut down and re threaded a little. I thought the stainless might be less prone to seizing up. But the high tensile will probably be stronger and as long as you keep on top of the maintenance from now on, shouldn't be an issue. 

Cheers 

Sorry Guys, I might be wrong..  The Yambit Kit is just the Spindle and Bushes.  I think it again uses your long 12mm bolt and is not threaded for two separate bolts.

edit...  Getting confused now...  Looked at two ty175s, one has the through bolt, and the other has two separate bolts.   So which is which make in each case, I do not know...  sorry again.

Edited by scifi

I got the swing arm out today, chopped the bolt between the swingarm and frame. I had to carefully grind the head off the bolt to allow the frame to spread enough to get clearance to get a hacksaw blade in. 

I can confirm though, there is no amount of hammering the end of the swingarm bolt would ever release from the spacer tube. It's definitely just a chop and replace job when it gets that seized in. 

Not sure either about the bolt at either end. Wonder if it's been a modification someone has done?

for anyone who's interested here's a good little site I came upon while looking for a spindle bolt. 

http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/pit-bike-motorbike-axle-spindle-12mm-230mm.html

they have a few parts that may be interchangeable with other bikes. Kick starters etc, don't know what the quality would be but I'm thinking can't go to wrong with a bolt at least :) 

you can go wrong haha it's not in stock 

Edited by steve1979

• 5 weeks later...