Canterbury competition sidecar

boycat107

Hi, does anyone have details of the construction of the 1950's Canterbury trials sidecar bodies. I have a chassis and want to build a body. I have quite a few pictures of the outside, clearly aluminium, but don't know if there is a ply or ash frame and floor.

I would be grateful for any information, dimensions would be great.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello Rod

Like yourself i have recently acquired what i believe to be a canterbury (competition?) chassis and would also like to build a body for this.

Did you have any luck finding dimensions etc? If so i would appreciate any assistance you may be able to offer.

Cheers Bryn

Bryn, I think that you misread my post. I actually have a complete Canterbury trials sidecar on a bike in regular use. Does yours have the Canterbury script on the hub? Here is a picture of mine: I can take some measurements/photos if you think that yours may be the same chassis

Rod

DSCF4010.JPG

Edited by roadster

My chassis has same small dish on outer hub but unfortunately no stamping (Swallow had similar looking at images). Chassis couplings are stamped CS5. Sidecar wheel coupling is rigid and unsprung though. Any ideas?

My initial thoughts are for dog transport as he is getting on in years and i'm missing be out and about with him (soft i know!). I have a Drayton C15 trials that i would like to keep solo. Also a Bantam (not the most suitable bike ) and for the meantime thinking of coupling chassis to it :huh:

Thanks for replies

Will try and send image separately....

Thank you for the images boycat / roadster. Yes it does look very similar indeed. Chassis clamps stamped  CS5 and wheel side mounting plate stamped C - 1180 alluded to Canterbury. Will try and source (make) missing parts and build body. Any dimensions would be really helpful.

As to bike: Take on board the limitations of Bantam but I still have my original C15 rolling chassis which could be more suitable. Will need to look around for another engine 250 or bigger.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks once again.

Bryn

• 3 weeks later...

Have now measured my chassis as follows:

* approx' 42 inches across horizontal from outer face of wheel hub dish to end of main frame tube.

* approx' 29 and three quarter inches in length from centre of rear frame tube to centre of front frame tube.

* approx'29 inches in width from centre of inner frame tube to centre of wheel mounting frame tube.

How does this compare to your trials chassis?

Cheers Bryn