M27 conical hub & spoke lacing

jimg

I am replacing the spokes on my Bultaco M27.  Unfortunately, I went about it wrong and separated the hub (for powdercoating), spokes & rim well over a year ago and I can't remember if the rim is centered over the conical hub or if it has an off-set to one side.  For reference, I believe the M27 shares the same hub, spokes, and rim as the M10 and M49.  My owners manual does not specify much about the hub or spokes.  Currently, I do have it laced up, with loose spokes and the rim is naturally sitting about 1" (2.54 cm) off-set over the hub to the right.  I need to know if I am to center the rim over the hub when tightening up the spokes.  I do believe it needs to be centered, but I would like confirmation before I pull the hub over.  Thanks. 

20180107_172337_resized.jpg

20180107_172222_resized.jpg

Edited by jimg
Add picture

I've done an early series M49 which has the same design frame and rear hub as your M27 and did it by making sure the sprockets are aligned with each other and the wheel parallel to the frame centre-line then adjusting the spokes to get the rim onto the centre-line of the frame.

• Like 1

Hi Jimg

Measured the gap between wheel rim this morning on my unrestored M27 project.

Chain side between wheel rim and swinging arm approx. 40mm

Speedo side between wheel rim and swinging arm approx. 25mm

Hope this helps.

Thanks cuzzy!  This will help a bunch!  Very good to know that the rim is not centered between the swingarm.  If you (could) look down over the rear tire/rim does it look like the rim is centered over the hub?  Or, does the rim sit off to the right from the center-line of the hub.  I'm going to guess the rim also is off-set to the right side of the hub (speedo side).   Putting this back together has stalled me well over two months and I appreciate your help.  Thanks.   

Thanks feetupfun....also very good to know to align it so the rim is centerline on the frame...and of course the sprockets align.  With the tips I've received, I should be able to get it laced and aligned all back up correctly.   

• Like 1