Taming a 300??

leosantanalg

On 27/01/2018 at 8:59 PM, totty79 said:

Personally I get on slightly better with either a lively 125 and loads of revs, or chugging a 300 in higher gears. The middle ground low state of tune as standard typical 250 doesn't suit me as well.

youre an odd one, but i doubt its true, very few can "only ride" a 300 or a 125 as techniques are generally opposed and if you can do it great but wouldnt it work combining technique?

On 27/01/2018 at 1:10 PM, lineaway said:

The interesting thing UK Beta`s all run different than the one`s we get. Heavier flywheel and an added weight on the clutch side as well.  Beta USA sells a model called the super smooth. I believe it is the std 300 UK model. I have never ridden one yet as they are rare. So funny to hear reports on your bikes, since all of ours are quicker stock. We ride mainly dry rock as in Spain. But if I lived say upper New York state I would probably buy the super smooth and go from there.

PS I love my 250 Factory Beta.

Thats what they say but im not so sure, I certainly couldnt ride my evo as well with the weight on.

2 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

youre an odd one, but i doubt its true, very few can "only ride" a 300 or a 125 as techniques are generally opposed and if you can do it great but wouldnt it work combining technique?

Not only ride, just preference.

For easy stuff I find a 250 needs more finesse, now you've pointed it out it does feel like having to combine techniques, doesn't feel as natural to me. Hard to describe at the min though as I haven't ridden since early Nov - which is why I still own a 250, not riding enough to justify an upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 280 TRS before that I had two 280 gas gas's. I've tried a 300 gas gas in 2006 and 2010 but I just can't ride one. The 280 is claimed to be more snappy ? I found on the 300 it just kept going, whatever the gear whatever the gradient. It was wearing me out in two laps of a club trial, a 280 doesn't. 

I think when the 300 was first launched in 2003 it was softer but once the top boys moved to the 300 Gas Gas it got more powerful. 

I'm happy to admit I'm not good enough for a 300 gas gas but I love the 280. If you think riders as good as Dan Thorpe and Sam Haslam run a flywheel weight on a 300 then I think that says it all.

I was lucky enough to try a 300 TRS in Spain recently. Really smooth and I could be tempted but I haven't fived a single section on my 280 due to lack of power. Finally I'm learning... ride what suits you 

• Like 1

I think some riders would like the bottom end of a 300, and then then the mid-top of a 200. Lots of power off the bottom, no scary power when launching the bike with high revs. 

I think many of us (myself included) would do well to have some time on a 125 to get used to holding a bike pinned and then firing up things. Things would happen more slowly and be more predictable. It's taken me a while to get to this point on my Montesa 260. Hopefully I can transfer that over to my future 300 TRS!

• Like 1