Rebuild info and a future investment

montesaforben

Good morning everyone from Rossendale Lancashire. Decided to sign up to the site rather than just a guest browser, well I will get straight to the point. I would like to have my 1983 coat 349 (y reg) be treated to a full engine overhaul, no major dramas at the moment but I think the mains are just  starting to become a touch noisy. Where can I purchase these along with the related seals,gaskets and other bearings etc preferably all from one supplier. Part two now! I would like to invest in a RTL 250 twin disc model, but don't have a great deal of knowledge of them .There's a couple on that other site for £5500 ish ,is that a fair  reflection? Any replies much appreciated .Thanks. 

Good morning gents, I think both of you are right (mrturtle and turbofurball) Sandifords are on the industrial estate just off Rossendale road approx 6/7 miles from me ,unfortunately I'm pretty sure they don't supply the old montesa parts anymore. I remember in years gone by going to the shop at the bottom of Walmsley road in Bury ,as a young lad who was trials bike mad it was like "going to heaven" to see all the montesas and other bikes too, no problem at all for any part you needed along with great staff to help you. Good days and fond memories of my youth.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/2/2018 at 9:51 AM, montesaforben said:

Good morning gents, I think both of you are right (mrturtle and turbofurball) Sandifords are on the industrial estate just off Rossendale road approx 6/7 miles from me ,unfortunately I'm pretty sure they don't supply the old montesa parts anymore. I remember in years gone by going to the shop at the bottom of Walmsley road in Bury ,as a young lad who was trials bike mad it was like "going to heaven" to see all the montesas and other bikes too, no problem at all for any part you needed along with great staff to help you. Good days and fond memories of my youth.

ello fella, i used to go down to sandifords on a satd'y morning just to sit on the bultaco's and monties, was deffo dreaming,  my brother rob used to work there in 74-75. very happy days, i now have a 1974 247. so i can go polish it anythime now. 

• 4 weeks later...

RTL’s can be very expensive, there are some that are worth the high cost but you must be very careful as some bikes are not genuine RTL’s. Parts and their associated costs can be prohibitive. Right at this very moment what with the virus and ‘lockdowns’ perhaps it would pay to do the research and build a rapport with a few sellers and chase down the best and original RTL that you can comfortably afford. The market place has apparently quite a few to choose from, but as an investment it might be prudent to hold off any purchase until the world can get back to normal. You could end up with maximum investment and no increase in potential future value. I personally would love to have a genuine RTL in my possession, not for any investment purpose but just because of the history. ? 

Section swept much appreciated for your message. Im very keen to purchase the 88/89 model with f+ r disks but the honest truth is im not clued up enough on them and would be relying on the seller to be genuine and upfront about the bike ( with £5/6000 potentially changing hands im not in a comfortable position) so many variants of the 250 engine by Honda on the outside and internally i have been told, plus many have been altered to suit that particular owner to which the riding position may not be suitable for me, as well as dozens of other things that i am probably not aware of.  Is there any 2 strokes in this type of money bracket to invest in, the bike will be used extremely sparingly. Come on guys give me your ideas about what you would like to purchase for a future investment.  Many thanks to any responses ???

Err, yeah, apart from, say, original Matchless trials bikes and the like, they're not really investment material.  Why not just get a cheap modern bike and have a go at trials to see if you like it?

(motorbikes in general are pretty hit and miss as investments, and are open to the same abuses of provenance as classic cars - which is to say it's a minefield at the very least)