Oset 24r power limit.

kingkopity

Hi all. Firstly let me apologise if this is a dumb question. If at all possible, i would like a way of limiting the power of the 24r for trail riding. sort of a low power mode, Somewhere in the range of 250w - 500w to make it sort of legal to ride trails. I know its not going to be strictly legal in a de-tuned mode, But the idea behind it is, I would like to ride it in a "trials" way at weekend, but then have the ability to switch to a low power mode to limit the draw on the battery and improve range. I would have thought a 48v 23ah battery could potentially power and ebike for quite a fair few miles. The main question i am asking is this: can i do the above using the current hardware and install some sort of "limiter", or do i need to be looking at swapping the motor controller for a more programmable one and then just have a few different throttle maps. If the latter, any suggestions on the route to go? I remember reading that some guys were installing a Kelly controller?, However, this was on the 20r. Once again, thank you all for your time and knowledge. 

Mike.

1 hour ago, johnsandywhite said:

I don't see the problem? There are THREE adjustment knobs that go all the way from virtually nothing to the max power required.

SPEED - POWER - RESPONSE are the 3 knobs

What he said      ^^^ 

But no matter what you do with the power it will never be no where near legal to ride on trails as it will have no tax and no mot and no registration ( well in the uk anyway )..

it would be very easy to set up a switch but you would need to measure the resistance of the dial at the limit you want then replace it with a fixed resistor.

Edited by gwhy

Thank you for your response. Yes i realise i already have that capacity. I was wanting something more like a switch that can be set to a limit in place of turning the dials back and hoping im in the lower range. I think i am probably better off just fitting some sort of gauge or watt meter and ride with the dials wound back and monitor it that way. A hidden switch would be nice, but changing motor controllers just for convenience of set power maps is probably a daft way to go. Thanks again.

After a little more "thinking", i have realised how daft the question was.a 1400w motor isnt gonna run at any less. Im just going to upgrade the battery. The Oset "48v" is actually 46v. Im sure the last one i had built was 54 fully charged. Anyhow, thanks for your input guys.

On 05/02/2018 at 6:27 PM, kingkopity said:

After a little more "thinking", i have realised how daft the question was.a 1400w motor isnt gonna run at any less. Im just going to upgrade the battery. The Oset "48v" is actually 46v. Im sure the last one i had built was 54 fully charged. Anyhow, thanks for your input guys.

its not daft .. as you can run it at a lower wattage by using the power limit pot as this is what it does.. Battery voltages are listed as nominal voltage not fully charged voltage, so it all depends what chemistry is used in your cells and how many.