Is it Bent?

trapezeartist

Part way through the trial on Saturday I noticed that my Fantic 200 was sitting more upright on the prop stand and I had to be much more selective about choosing the right place to park up. I think this coincided with the bike falling over because the prop stand sunk  into the ground. My first thought was that the prop stand had bent as it has always looked pretty flimsy. On removing it though, the weight indicates that it's more sturdy than I thought and there is no sign of kinking or damage to the paint.

The attached image shows it with the pivot axis horizontal. If it has bent, the bend just below the rubber buffer looks like the culprit, though it does also make it tuck in nicely against the swinging arm when folded up. Is it bent? Any thoughts, anyone?

20180204_173441_HDR.jpg

I don't think so, greychapel. There's no evidence of any distortion around the bracket, but then there's no evidence on the stand itself either. That's my predicament, Maybe I just need to refit it all and get a big bit of scaffold pipe on it. if it bent at the weakest point, perhaps I can bend it back at the weakest point.

• Like 1

Think mine is strait. I did wonder(because it's strait) if it had been a DIY job after the OE got damaged.

Yours looks very similar to mine except yours has a crank in it. I recon someone had done to stop it catching on rocks.

They are only a bit of light weight tube and will fracture if messed with too much.

I have to be careful where I leave my 200, bit of wind or soft ground has it over. Think the foot could do with being slightly bigger and a shorter length would help.  

14 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

I tried "adjusting" it this evening. It didn't want to know! I gave up because I thought any more force and I would damage something. I'll have a look at someone elses at the trial this weekend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fantic+200&rlz=1C1RUCY_enIM769IM769&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ04qT-JnZAhUKvxQKHZVsBTwQ7AkINg&biw=1366&bih=637#imgrc=2rjgaNvLh0FnWM

Most look strait on pics...Blow torch at the bend site will allow it to bend easy.

Yes indeed, and the bikes are leaning more than mine does. Tomorrow will be the definitive answer when I look at other bikes.

Heat and a bloody great vice should do it. I couldn't move it cold. Trouble is, I then have the rub it all back to bare metal and repaint it. But, such is life.

6 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Yes indeed, and the bikes are leaning more than mine does. Tomorrow will be the definitive answer when I look at other bikes.

Heat and a bloody great vice should do it. I couldn't move it cold. Trouble is, I then have the rub it all back to bare metal and repaint it. But, such is life.

Surely if you straiten it out it will be longer. I would have thought cutting a piece out would be the fix.

My bike doesn't fall over as much since I put Magical springs in the forks...ground clearance has increased, maybe that's your issue or wrong rear shockers?