Beta back brake

justjosh9

It’s safe to say the rear break on my 2017 evo is rubbish. Pads are fine there’s loads left. It will break hard if I really stamp on it but there just isn’t much feel there. Had a go on a few other bikes and the rear breaks on those are far superior. 

Any fixes? 

Beta rear brake isn't as good as other brands. Best pads I find are the red galfer ones. Fit new ones and clean the disc first if necessary in case pads are contaminated. If the pedal pressure is good then I'm afraid it's probably as good as it will get.

• Like 2

Could be air in the top of the master cylinder. There should be a bleeder there since it’s the highest point in the system. I find after any rear brake service I have to pump the brakes up, hold pressure on the pedal and crack the banjo bolt on top of the  master cylinder then close. A couple cycles of that usually helps immensely. 

I know it’s not accepted practice. Yes Beta should fix it. Blah blah blah. It seems to work purging that last bubble of air in the system.

• Like 1

Okay First I will try to clean the disk and change the pads and if I get no joy with that I’ll see if there’s any air in the system ? 

I’ll have to mess around with it to see how to adjust the set up because I have no idea unless there’s any good videos out there? 

My son just finished riding his first year on a Beta. We have talked before about the feel on his rear brake. Unfortunately I had to tell him the truth, Beta rear brakes have always been sub par. My Zero`s sucked, all my Techno`s were terrible, the Rev 3`s were better, but I hate the rear brake on my latest Evo. My son will be buying a TRS this year. I have always been a Beta guy. Maybe it`s the same shaped rear pedal?

On the back of the brake pedal there is a  push rod  with a lock nut attatched to a Clevis & pin. The rod goes up thro the rubber boot into the master cylinder. Slacken the lock nut and wind the push rod in or out of the Clevis to get the minimum of free play on the lever tip before the push rod starts to move the master cylinder piston. You only need 1mm free play at the pedal tip.  You may find you have slack in the Clevis & pin so you can adjust the push rod to remove some of this slack if it's too great. 

It works, just has no feel. Since I have the factory it has the Braktechs and most have the Grimeca. They have always been (Beta) just not quite as good. Where Gas Gas rear brakes have always been great. I have ridden for several decades and then some. The Montesa rear is probably say the middle of the road, but there is like 6 different style pedals on the market.(Which at least gives the rider a choice.) This of course is my opinion, but I ride 4RT`s as much as my own bike. (We have 11 at work.) The Sherco is real close to working as good as the Gas Gas. Recently I threw my whole front brake system in my old parts pile and run a complete AJP system off a 2005 4RT. Not as strong a brake, but very consistent. (That really has nothing to do with Beta rear brake issue`s, just my issues.).To go back to the Beta rear, it locks up fine, just not much between on and off.  

• 2 weeks later...