Ossa engine oil type/grade

mpr84

Hi Just seeing if anyone can tell me what grade or type of engine oil I should put in my Ossa TR77 Verde 250 1979. I’m fitting new clutch plates tomorrow that are coming from  inmotion but just wanted to make sure on the oil before refill etc. I have tried to look in to this but it seems to be mixed reviews on what should be used. 

Cheers for the reply will try and get some tomorrow. 

I have just started the process of trying to get a v5 etc for my bike by sending pics and a form down to v m c Stafford, have you ever had to do this process on a bike?

Yes, lots of info on what to do here 

In a nutshell you need a dating certificate from a recognised body which is on DVLA list. VMCC is, but they know how to charge these days...  You need the bike to be recorded on NOVA with HMRC otherwise DVLA won't process your application. You need to send photographs to DVLA. You need an MOT. You don't need insurance. You need to complete the DVLA form V55/5

BUT  -  before you do all of this, find out if the bike is already registered by completing a form V62 which is a request for a V5. Obviously you can't complete the registration number as you don't have one but DVLA can tell from the chassis number whether your bike is registered or not. Just put a covering letter with the form explaining that you recently bought it from a private sale, you believe it may have been registered when new but there is no paperwork. It costs £25 and if it is registered they will send you the V5. I wrote something like:

I have enclosed application form V62 for a V5 registration document relating to the following motorcycle:

Garelli Trial 320 – Chassis Number #####, engine number #####

This classic motorcycle was recently purchased by myself but without a V5. It is believed that the motorcycle was originally registered when new, in 1984, but unfortunately the previous owner had no V5 or any details of the registration number itself. Unfortunately therefore I can provide no evidence of an original registration number but am hoping that a search against the chassis number may reveal one.

I hope that the information I have provided is sufficient and that you will be able to run a trace for a registration number. Enclosed is a cheque for £25 to cover the fee.

If it isn't registered they will return the application and don't charge so you get your cheque back. If so you can then begin the registration process.

• Like 1

Cheers for the info im on with the registration so will keep you posted how i get on. 

One more question if you can put some light on it. I’ve fitted the new clutch now but when I’ve tried it without the bike running its not that easy to push when in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, dose the clutch run different when the bikes running. I’ve tried to adjust the new clutch up to what i thinks rite by looking at the ossa engineering, it is heavy but from what I’ve read that seems normal.

Tks Martin 

It's normal on most trials bikes to find them difficult to push in gear due to drag on the clutch. The drag is overcome better when it is the engine spinning the clutch, not the back wheel.  But make sure the clutch plates are breaking evenly all around the basket as it won't help if they aren't. If not adjust the tension of whichever springs until the plates lift evenly

The clutch pull is fairly heavy on the Ossa, you can experiment with backing the spring tension off to lighten the pull until it starts to slip. You can adjust the springs through the inspection cover, you don't have to remove the casing