Hello from teesside

PRE89

Hello, really interested in buying a trials bike, I've had crossers and an enduro before when younger but now I'm 28 and haven't ridden anything in maybe 10 years.

My main question is am I being unrealistic trying to get into trials biking? I'm asking this because of my age and having no experience but also because I'm not a light skinny lad anymore I'm 16 stone of pure dad body Haha! Will this hinder me or am I better off just going back to a motocross bike instead.

Cheers guys, my next question then is how do I go about starting up. Obviously buy the gear then what just turn up and hope somebody is there for advice or to show me the trails.

I know their is a place called charltons in guisborough near me not sure if there is a club though I'll have to have a look.

Just sinch in your belt a few extra holes, that’s the bear belly taken care of. Stick some gel in your hair and run your fingers through and up to create a reasonably trendy hairstyle, if you are a bit thin on top or no hair(Dad worry)then just mime this bit. Chose a tightish pair of Lycra Trials pants and ease your body into them (hair gel comes in useful). Now fret ?and worry ?on what type and size engine bike to get. 

As a start set yourself a budget for the bike and a separate budget for riding gear, tools and fees, insurance etc. You may well have some stuff left over from your previous bike days. Take all the advice you can get and are given. Are the family going to be included in your sport days or just the wife, girlfriend, partner this would be an ideal opportunity to have a weekend away where you both get to do something together. 

Twinshock bikes are now getting expensive and for the same money you could get a more modern mono 2002 onwards. Visit a few more trials before taking the plunge so that you can see how others do it. I’ve been in love with trials bikes and trials riding since I was 14 years old and used to sit and drool over pictures of Dots and Greeves etc. As a result I have had quite a few, they look similar but they were all different to ride and they all had their own character, same as now with the modern extra light weight machines. I now sit and drool over unbelievably light weight looking modern bikes and pre-65 stuff, this could of course be down to my age but you may find that you have the right skill set only being 28 ( a mere whippersnapper?). What ever you end up with keep us posted and remember to enjoy it...Trials I mean! Moto x a bit to likely to hurt you more when come a cropper, more expensive too!??

Edited by section swept
Added material
  • Like 1

The best thing you will ever do. I have not ridden a trials biker for about 20 years am 56 coming up and am loving it I joined Guisborough club and I ride at Charlton's which is a fantastic place. Just grab yourself a bike and go have some fun. There are plenty of us who will help if your not sure on all things trials.

5 hours ago, normy said:

Guisborough club have it.

There's a trial on up there on Sunday 11/2/18

Get yourself up there and have a wander around.

They are a friendly bunch.

Cheers

Norm

I'll have to get myself down definitely although I'm working this weekend (joys of shift work)

3 hours ago, section swept said:

Just sinch in your belt a few extra holes, that’s the bear belly taken care of. Stick some gel in your hair and run your fingers through and up to create a reasonably trendy hairstyle, if you are a bit thin on top or no hair(Dad worry)then just mime this bit. Chose a tightish pair of Lycra Trials pants and ease your body into them (hair gel comes in useful). Now fret ?and worry ?on what type and size engine bike to get. 

As a start set yourself a budget for the bike and a separate budget for riding gear, tools and fees, insurance etc. You may well have some stuff left over from your previous bike days. Take all the advice you can get and are given. Are the family going to be included in your sport days or just the wife, girlfriend, partner this would be an ideal opportunity to have a weekend away where you both get to do something together. 

Twinshock bikes are now getting expensive and for the same money you could get a more modern mono 2002 onwards. Visit a few more trials before taking the plunge so that you can see how others do it. I’ve been in love with trials bikes and trials riding since I was 14 years old and used to sit and drool over pictures of Dots and Greeves etc. As a result I have had quite a few, they look similar but they were all different to ride and they all had their own character, same as now with the modern extra light weight machines. I now sit and drool over unbelievably light weight looking modern bikes and pre-65 stuff, this could of course be down to my age but you may find that you have the right skill set only being 28 ( a mere whippersnapper?). What ever you end up with keep us posted and remember to enjoy it...Trials I mean! Moto x a bit to likely to hurt you more when come a cropper, more expensive too!??

I've still got the hair and it's not thinning but it is the equivalent of world war 2 France in that it's fast retreating backwards before my eyes. 

Will be just me my wife is like the anti outdoors person haha opposites attract ey.

I've got plenty of dollar put aside for a bike but never even thought about how much the gear would cost. I'm the sort of all or nothing person though. I started downhill mountain biking last summer which I've never done before and bought a 7 grand bike right off the bat. I've been looking at some of the high end sherco bikes, was thinking 250 or 300 would be better to pull my heavy a*** about then a smaller engine. I probably prefer gas gas bikes on an aesthetic point of view but struggled to find dealerships I found that actually sell them.

17 minutes ago, mightychub said:

The best thing you will ever do. I have not ridden a trials biker for about 20 years am 56 coming up and am loving it I joined Guisborough club and I ride at Charlton's which is a fantastic place. Just grab yourself a bike and go have some fun. There are plenty of us who will help if your not sure on all things trials.

I'll definitely do that mate thank you. I'll message you when I have all the gear and you may see my face there soon haha.

Cheers everyone for the kind words.

6 hours ago, PRE89 said:

Hello, really interested in buying a trials bike, I've had crossers and an enduro before when younger but now I'm 28 and haven't ridden anything in maybe 10 years.

My main question is am I being unrealistic trying to get into trials biking? I'm asking this because of my age and having no experience but also because I'm not a light skinny lad anymore I'm 16 stone of pure dad body Haha! Will this hinder me or am I better off just going back to a motocross bike instead.

Hell no you will be fine....your young ,my good mate started racing again after a 30 yr break,he was 57yrs old and built an unstoppable modified TT500 Yamaha and cleaned up his class after a short time much to the disgust of the big bore 2 stroke twinshock guys,@ 62 he retired and found a 30yr old hotshoe who continued winning with that same bike.

He got me back into riding,what bike you buy is up too you,I bought my Montesa because it was around the era I rode previously....I don't know what a modern trials bike is :D:D.

Good luck and go for it, what ever way you go vintage trials or modern you will have a blast,cheers.

Check out the web for Scarborough MC, they have there own practice ground & plenty events at Harwood Dale, south of Whitby & past the Flask Inn.

If ye fancy a brit bike in a relaxed atmosphere check VMCC South Durham web, they have a trial at Chop Gate on the 18th.