Should I drain the carb

shorty1978

Dadof2 I think all modern two strokes come with either a Keihin or Dellorto carb. Both have a drain bolt in the centre of the bowl at its lowest point.

Not sure what carb is on a 4t Beta.

You may not be able to get the drain bolt all the way out of the carb as it will hit the crankcase but if you rotate the carb either way with the jubilee clips slackened off you will get most of the fuel out.

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Dadof2 I think all modern two strokes come with either a Keihin or Dellorto carb. Both have a drain bolt in the centre of the bowl at its lowest point.

Not sure what carb is on a 4t Beta.

You may not be able to get the drain bolt all the way out of the carb as it will hit the crankcase but if you rotate the carb either way with the jubilee clips slackened off you will get most of the fuel out.

What you say is correct but unfortunately the bit of fuel left in is the bit where dirt and water also tends to be. On some carbs this centre bolt also fixes the float bowl and loosening it can let dirt in at the float bowl joint. The 1970s Yams I owned had had proper drain screws and my 1970s and 1980s Suzuki and Honda have them. Carb manufacturers no longer including a proper drain screw is a right PITA.