Electric Bike BHP

micm

For comparison from the manufacturer's quoted figures for the three 'adult' electric bikes...

Assume that 1KW divided by 747 = 1 BHP.

Note also bike weights.

Mecatecno T18   10 KW, 13.4 BHP, 58 KG.  5 Speed box and clutch.

Electric Motion     12 KW, 16 BHP, 72 KG (Weight varies)  Direct drive no clutch (to speak of).

Gas Gas TXTE     15 KW, 20 BHP, 68 KG  6 Speed box and clutch.

• Like 3

Señor Nou. Speaking to the importer today who has ridden it at the factory I can confirm the T18 Mecatecno Dragonfly now has a SIX speed gearbox and the battery lasts for 4 hours. It comes supplied with two batteries. Two demo bikes will come into the UK first for possible customers try out. 

• Like 1

On a par with EM then. At that, competitive riders will only buy if they feel its better than a petrol bike. 

I don't think many trials riders in my locale are swung by electric bikes' claimed green credentials. Mind you, some guy in sandals with a twig stuck in his beard once told me I should be riding one if I cared about preserving the world's polar bear population, or something.

Edited by cleanorbust

Manufacturer's numbers are to be taken with caution, as they have historically been - with a few exceptions - as reliable true as a Trump tweet.

I would be interested in horsepower and torque curves as compared to the current batch of gas powered bikes, 2t and 4t, but for that one would need access to the right equipment, and providing the testing to a recognized standard.

On the other hand, it would be great to have the bikes ridden by a third party that could offer a unbiased feeling. For example, does the 12KW bike ride like a 200 cc 2t, or a 250 cc 2t? In addition what does it really mean when they say "four hour battery"? The battery provided with the Electric Motion is good for about an hour where we ride, although it is very mountainous here, so not a fair comparison. I am sure that electric motors vary in their efficiency, and therefore comparing batteries by their Amp/Hour ratings may also not provide apples to apples.

I am sure that as time passes, and the electric bike market matures, these questions and more will be answered.

S.

The T 18 I am told by a decent rider who has tested it in Span is that the bike equates to a 200cc 2T like the Beta.  I asked several times about battery longevity and that what what was said, and you get two. An experience World TC minder Brit said the Gasser was quotes 'bloody powerful' and flew out of the sections. Ok subjective but the published figures put it up with the 250 2Ts. Incidentally 15KW is capable of giving a nasty shock not to mention melting the carelessly placed screwdriver.

As for claimed output no doubt they will be tested. Not all Trump tweets are rubbish by the way, some seem spot on in a rough way.

The South of England is densely populated with lots of semi eco nuts and not in my backyarders, so an optional silent bike makes some sense. Other places probably not. 

• Like 1

"I don't think numbers are important here"

With respect, I think they are.

Watts and Kilowatts in E bikes are comparable to cubic capacity in petrol engined ones and for example the Tesla cars are rated in BHP as described by Jeremy Clarkson road testing one.

The Gas Gas with it's15 KW motor is going to pack a considerable punch in any language.

Well I guess if you have a secret section in Central Park NY and live across the way up on 5th Avenue there, you can afford the bucks! 

OK it's for the better off rider like the Tesla Model S is to the similar sports car buyer.

Although in my neck of the woods there are 4 titanium framed Vertigos sculling about and they weigh in at Uk £10,000.

• Like 1

Well the best and probably forgotten bit about electric motors is this fact, they develop maximum torque from zero revs; just right for trials. That’s why underground electric trains and milk floats tend to leap away from standstill, also the reason your car/lorry starter motor is able to turn over an engine from stationary. Reduction ratio gearing accepted. As for Tesla there is one ( a saloon) near to where I live and trying to keep up on bends is nigh on impossible, it just rockets away into the next bend. There is a nasty rumour gaining weight that sitting in such a powerful electric atmosphere can be harmful to the human body!?

Sounds like the e bikes won't fry your brains or any other parts except maybe your toes! And no worse than the petrol jobs, don't think we have hydrogen or diesel ones...yet.

...from Phys.org  

"The intensity of magnetic fields in seven different electric cars, one hydrogen car and one petrol car were measured in order to ascertain whether they approach the recommended limiting values for human exposure. The measurements were carried out using real cars in a laboratory and during road tests.

The highest values in electric cars were measured near the floor, close to the battery itself and when starting the cars. In all cases, exposure to magnetic fields is lower than 20 per cent of the limiting value recommended by the ICNIRP. Measurements taken at head-height are less than 2 per cent of the same limiting value.

In the case of petrol and diesel powered cars, exposure was measured at around 10 per cent of the limiting value. In other words, there is little difference between electric cars and petrol and diesel cars."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2014-05-danger-magnetic-fields-electric-cars.html#jCp

Batteries need to be replaced more often than pistons and they cost a lot more...

Good point, batteries are expensive I agree, but if we are talking running

costs don't forget, petrol and 2 stroke mixture is I suspect is dearer than

recharging the batteries, judging by what local Nissan Leaf owners tell

me. So there is a balance.

My main point about electric trials bikes is they are quiet and non

smoky and in more densely populated areas that is a big plus,

especially for regular practice.