2 stroke VS 4?????

wyoelkslayer

For you bike gurus that have ridden or owned both the 2 stroke and 4 stroke bikes which do you prefer and why? Currently Riding a Cota 300rr but looking to trade it in and try a 2 stroke TRS 300 Raga for this year. Biggest drawback is going from injection back to a carb but shouldn't be too big of an issue it i get it jetted right. Whats the power comparison on the 2 stroke vs 4? I know with snowmobiles you need almost twice the horsepower in a 4 stroke to get the same performance as a 2 stroke. Plus the weight savings is nice on the TRS. Thoughts? 

Trials ain't snow mobiling and the power factor is less relevant, and certainly not in the proportion you quote.  My 4RT has beefier power than the 200 Beta I had before but I can't say either is/was lacking.

I had a shot on a 250 TRS and was most impressed with the clean carburetion.

• Like 1

It's all a matter of personal tast, I have been on both and my brain likes 4T's so I seem to stick with them.  

I play on my wife's 2T often and it's nice how light it feels just brain timing gets me.  I tried several other 2T's 250 to 300 and will keep trying them from time to time because who knows if I ever might change my mind.

FYI: if you want a change without a new bike and haven't tried a fast throttle tube on your 300RR give it a go.  Best mod I ever did to my 17 300 RR.

1 hour ago, jonnyc21 said:

It's all a matter of personal tast, I have been on both and my brain likes 4T's so I seem to stick with them.  

I play on my wife's 2T often and it's nice how light it feels just brain timing gets me.  I tried several other 2T's 250 to 300 and will keep trying them from time to time because who knows if I ever might change my mind.

FYI: if you want a change without a new bike and haven't tried a fast throttle tube on your 300RR give it a go.  Best mod I ever did to my 17 300 RR.

what are those and what do they do? 

7 hours ago, wyoelkslayer said:

what are those and what do they do? 

Stock Montesa 300RR has a black throttle tube or slow turn, you can order a white or fast turn tube for a domino throttle and it will fit right on, it wakes the bike up a lot as it takes less turn on the throttle to get it to full.  really its the only modification I have on my 300RR and I love it.  

It might take a few rides to re-calibrate your self to the faster turn throttle however... 

My 4RT ran more relaxed over long distance trials, had double the amount of engine revs if needed and carried a straight line up rocky sections. But I prefer 2 strokes, grip better on compact clay/mud, easier on downhills, less starting issues and easier to change direction in a hurry. 

8 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

Stock Montesa 300RR has a black throttle tube or slow turn, you can order a white or fast turn tube for a domino throttle and it will fit right on, it wakes the bike up a lot as it takes less turn on the throttle to get it to full.  really its the only modification I have on my 300RR and I love it.  

It might take a few rides to re-calibrate your self to the faster turn throttle however... 

Sweet thanks for the info, you got a link to the one i need? 

24 minutes ago, wyoelkslayer said:

What do you mean? if its jetted right for the elevation im riding wont it run full power? i ride at 6500-8500 feet so im sure ill have to re jet for our elevation. 

All bikes are underpowered at elavation. That is why 300's are popular out west. You are on a UK forum, they pretty much ride at sea level. Even 125's run good there.

Me I prefer 4stroke for enduro WR250 and WR450, the big engine is my favourite as it is more controllable and pulls like a tractor?? But for Trials it has to be 2stroke, engine is lighter and responds accordingly without the jackhammer effect! That’s a reason why some enduro riders prefer 2strokes too! It’s difficult to make a 4stroke any where as light as a 2stroke engine. Unless you have limitless amounts of money and access to highly sophisticated materials like unobtainium, tinsletide and scotchmistiomion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wyoelkslayer said:

Sweet thanks for the info, you got a link to the one i need? 

Can't seem to find just the tube but I know you can get them.

here is the full assembly.  http://www.trialstoreusa.com/domino-fast-throttle-assembly/

my recommendation is give a shop a call and I bet you could get one ordered up quick.

also noted your in the US if so you can always contact Dennis at http://overlandtrail.biz/. Montesa parts is his business...

Edited by jonnyc21