4RT throttle cable replacement

oldgit

Can anyone offer advice on a QUICK and EASY way of throttle cable replacement? Did one a while ago which I seem to remember needed me to remove throttle assembly and all sorts of other bits. Surely there's an easier way?

Cheers

Edited by oldgit
  • Like 1

Have just done mine so fresh in my mind. After some fiddling I did the following and it work well. I know its not a 'carb', but for the sake of argument. . .

• Unbolt and lift tank to one side. No need to remove fuel line etc but it is a good idea to undo the wire connector on the left hand side visible just below tank and frame.
  • Remove cable from throttle grip.
  • Remove rear mudguard.
  • Remove air box completely but be careful with the little drain hose on the bottom left side.
  • Either side of the 'carb' there are jubilee clips on the rubber hoses. Undo these then remove 'carb' just a little. 
  • Pull cable through frame (noting routing) and the you can unscrew it from 'carb' body. You will need to release the locking bolt on the cable at the card first.
  • Replace in reverse order.

It is needed to remove carb as there is a kink in the end of the cable which stops you being able to screw in the new cable or remove the old without interference from the frame. It is this hassle i reckon that you have become stuck with like I did assuming there was an easier way. There i'snt sadly.

Have fun and hope it works for you. You do get to give your bike a good clean however.

Edited by RichardC
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...