CMA. Dead Man Walking?

canadaler

Long expected, this is the first time I've seen anything published from MCC that they are officially seeking to be FIM's Associate Member for Canada.

http://www.motorcycling.ca/competition/mcc-seeks-fim-affiliation/

With CMA sanctioning only a small minority of motorcycling competitions across Canada it certainly would not be surprising to see them finally lose their FIM Affiliation.

Edited by canadaler

Interesting news....although " officially" the intent has been known for many years. Even though users of this forum have denied it profusely. The press release doesn' say how many people were at this summit.It doesn't say where the people were from.  I would caution people to understand that just because someone prints or says something, unless its backed up with facts it becomes detremental. In the case of our sport of trials it only seems to have fractured an already small group.Far too many mis-truths mis-leading too many people. Seemingly and factually involving many cases of conflict of interests. Stay tuned.

Interesting indeed... Probably worth noting that this is about "ALL" off road motorcycling not just trials. MCC is backed by all the large bike companies that put money from each bike sold in Canada into a pool to support the MCC as far as a I know it does not include GG, Beta, Sherco, Vertigo, TRS... etc. My sense is (no facts to back it up) this is way more about KTM, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW... having a cohesive country wide race program through their current provincial off road organizations that they already support (I used to be president for NS) . 

It does say they want to work with all organizations to make this happen (something I have always supported). Unfortunately CMA has a policy that they do not want anything to do with bike manufactures (that is a fact). FIM seems more than happy to work with well funded organizations for the benefit of the riding community - It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

End of the day Trials will be a small part (TAC is 3 or 4 people with CMA and WTC is about the same with MCC)  but if we work together (especially with Honda now on board) this may very well be just what is needed to reunite the sport. 

I am just on observer but figured I would toss in my .02 

None of this is new news. I am well aware to the facts about all of it. Again, reading that press release does make the general public being mislead. But,  the nature of this and the timing is pretty curious. Again, you are speculating about some stuff too. Its all of our rights to do so but that is all it is.

I'm pretty sure trials in Canada has little to do with any decisions made...or not made...by WEC and/or the FIM. We're simply not a significant enough group in terms of numbers or visibility.

Trials will be affected should the FIM affiliation change hands, but realistically...for most riders and events...not much I suspect.

Some major in-accuracies in your post. CANADA and the CMA, as part of the FIM family have a major role. Trials IS at the forefront of that. We are part of the Newly formed FIM-NA. Myself and members of the Trials Advisory Commitee have communicated and sat in on meetings with Reps from the Fim and the new TrialGP promoter. I can tell you that trials in Canada is of concern to both parties. 

Many things  with our sport have been neglected for sometime. It may not affect YOUR personal enjoyment or involvement, but no can tell you it does affect the sport. I will also suggest and in fact I know, that anyone involved with WEC....WTC...or whatever they want to call themselves, doesn' fully understand all of this. Despite this announcement I do not think that the CMA will be losing the FIM affiliation anytime soon. I think this announcement is purely a self promotion tactic. 

• Like 1

Hey Steve, who is sitting on the current TAC? I haven't seen much news recently other than you and John working on the FIM NA initiative..

I didn't realize that Marilynn was FIM pres for all of NA - When I spoke to her before she said CMA would not support events outside of Canada but I see she was a member of the Jury for the TdN last year has CMA changed their position on out of country events (or was this in relation to her FIM NA role) ?   

Edited by michael_t

2 hours ago, michael_t said:

Hey Steve, who is sitting on the current TAC? I haven't seen much news recently other than you and John working on the FIM NA initiative..

I didn't realize that Marilynn was FIM pres for all of NA - When I spoke to her before she said CMA would not support events outside of Canada but I see she was a member of the Jury for the TdN last year has CMA changed their position on out of country events (or was this in relation to her FIM NA role) ?   

Michael:

There are some changes coming to the Tac this year. Not fair to be posting it on a forum until the parties involved have been spoken with. I can tell you that we are working on a position as a PR manager who will be responsible for doing a better job of getting information out.

I sincerely think that you have somehow mis-interpreted some info you may have received through Marilynn. I cannot speak for her, but, of course the CMA supports events and riders riding event outside of Canada! That has been and will be the case going forward. The importance of a PR manager is important for insances like this...

You should also know that as well as being the President of Fim-NA, Marilynn is a long time member on the board of the FIM and is well respected.

14 hours ago, steve fracy said:

Some major in-accuracies in your post. CANADA and the CMA, as part of the FIM family have a major role. Trials IS at the forefront of that. We are part of the Newly formed FIM-NA. Myself and members of the Trials Advisory Commitee have communicated and sat in on meetings with Reps from the Fim and the new TrialGP promoter. I can tell you that trials in Canada is of concern to both parties. 

My comment was speaking to the larger picture of a decision being made on the FIM Affiliation for Canada. 

Certainly trials would form only a part of the input into that decision. (Although I don't discount the possibility that politics rather than reality may play a major role here.)

Where is the CMA's national presence within the many other FIM competition disciplines?

Motocross, Supercross, Short Track, Speedway, Ice Racing, TT, MotoGP, Superbike, Sidecar, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, XC, Drag. It's  clear that their involvement is little to none in sanctioning the vast majority of moto-sports in Canada. The CMA may certainly sit on boards or hold FIM positions related to them, but that does not change the fact that their control of all of these competitions within Canada is virtually non-existent. I'm not sure how anyone could dispute that with any credibility. Add to that that most of these other competitions are much larger and popular than trials. Add to that (and I haven't crunched the number to confirm it, but believe it is true that) the CMA does not even control or sanction the majority of trials events within Canada anymore...it's very hard to see that CMA trials are going to have a "major role" in determining the FIM Affiliation for Canada. If it is...it seems to me there is most definitely something wrong with a process that ignores the probably 90% of all motorcycle competitions in Canada which have nothing to do with the CMA.

CMA does not represent the bulk of motorcycle competitions in Canada.  #timesupcma

Below sound like a sensible and sustainable position to start...

quote "

MCC will continue pursuing FIM affiliation. “MCC’s primary vision is to be the voice of motorcycling in Canada and this vision would be exemplified through an affiliation with the international motorcycling body FIM,” explains Dave Millier, MCC Chair. “MCC was created as a national body to represent motorcyclists and is strongly positioned as the leading organization to represent Canada on an international stage.”

MCC will continue to look for opportunities to engage the entire Canadian racing community, including hosting additional meetings, either in-person or online, and through a national survey. The results will be used to generate a national racing strategy and vision for off-road racing in Canada."

8 hours ago, borus said:

CMA does not represent the bulk of motorcycle competitions in Canada.  #timesupcma

Below sound like a sensible and sustainable position to start...

quote "

MCC will continue pursuing FIM affiliation. “MCC’s primary vision is to be the voice of motorcycling in Canada and this vision would be exemplified through an affiliation with the international motorcycling body FIM,” explains Dave Millier, MCC Chair. “MCC was created as a national body to represent motorcyclists and is strongly positioned as the leading organization to represent Canada on an international stage.”

MCC will continue to look for opportunities to engage the entire Canadian racing community, including hosting additional meetings, either in-person or online, and through a national survey. The results will be used to generate a national racing strategy and vision for off-road racing in Canada."

Considering all that is going on in the world with womens rights and their fight to have a voice and make a change....your hashtag seems pretty inappropiate. You may want to edit that one. We are only talking about motorcycles here.