M49 advice please!

blueflag

On 28/02/2018 at 8:21 AM, feetupfun said:

Some alloy steels have a low coefficient of friction so be careful. Mild steel or cast iron are the go for brake drums

I always found it interesting/amusing that other manufacturers used chrome on cylinder bores to reduce friction (as well as increase  bore life) .  Bultaco used it on brake drums...........

18 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I always found it interesting/amusing that other manufacturers used chrome on cylinder bores to reduce friction (as well as increase  bore life) .  Bultaco used it on brake drums...........

?????

1 hour ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

The brakes on my M138 Alpina (with chrome plated drums) are amazing

• Like 1

7 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The brakes on my M138 Alpina (with chrome plated drums) are amazing

I suppose I would have to concede that an almost frictionless chrome surface would not be any worse than the cast iron lined brakes on Bultacos I rode as a teenager☺ 

Interesting bit of machining Blueflag, how tight a fit are you going for on your liner, given the different coefficients of expansion of steel  / alloy? 

And how are you going to stop the liner from turning, just by the interference fit alone?  Or with the aid of a bit of Loctite or similar?

Cheers,

Craig

It's got an interference fit, chill the liner and warm the hub to get it in. I can't see it getting particularly warm the way I ride! I put a little bit of loctite on the face just as belt and braces. I'm pretty happy with the way it's gone. I need to sort out some shoes, a brake rod and a new lever. Keeps me out of mischief...

I know the finish has chatter by the way...?

20180307_200448.jpg

Edited by blueflag
Missing information
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, blueflag said:

It's got an interference fit, chill the liner and warm the hub to get it in. I can't see it getting particularly warm the way I ride! I put a little bit of loctite on the face just as belt and braces. I'm pretty happy with the way it's gone. I need to sort out some shoes, a brake rod and a new lever. Keeps me out of mischief...

I know the finish has chatter by the way...?

20180307_200448.jpg

Nice work. I'm also impressed that you did it all with the wheel assembled