Jump to content

daniel cooper

TY 250 piston stamped id markings

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, OW10 said:

I know this thread is old but what is 1.6 thou? I’ve never seen a decimal point used in a fraction before

It's conventional to say "1.6 thou" because saying it that way is easier than saying "zero point zero zero one six of an inch"

1.6 thou could be written just as easily as 0.0016" but when spoken it is a different matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

7 hours ago, OW10 said:

I know this thread is old but what is 1.6 thou? I’ve never seen a decimal point used in a fraction before.

 

 

 You still haven't. There is no fraction there, it's a decimal point inserted into a decimal value. I've never heard it said that way, I would say 16 ten thousandths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, feetupfun said:

It's conventional to say "1.6 thou" because saying it that way is easier than saying "zero point zero zero one six of an inch"

1.6 thou could be written just as easily as 0.0016" but when spoken it is a different matter

No, it conventional to say 16 thou, as in 16 thousands of an inch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
7 hours ago, b40rt said:

No, it conventional to say 16 thou, as in 16 thousands of an inch.

The initial comment was for 1.6 thou not 16 thou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I think some people say sixteen tenths, which is even more confusing if you’re not familiar with thousandths of an inch. This is where metric has an advantage but I do like the standard way better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...