Montesa Cota 247 Break In Period

dirtrider6

31 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Nice bike indeed, and all the more so for still having the original tail silencer as opposed to one of those horrible sounding alloy jobs that they usually have by now.

Thank You this will be the oldest Trials bike I have ever owned, it appears to be in great shape and the friend I am buying it from really took care of his bikes, this one was never even rode after the rebuild just stored away

9 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

He said that he remembers getting epoxy to seal tanks but he had a huge collection at the time and doesn't recall if this bike was done, can you tell by looking inside, or should I just get it redone?

Normally you can't apply a new sealer over an old sealer and it can be a big job removing the old stuff.  Wait until you can see what is there as long as the original sealing job was done correctly it should be fine.

On 01/03/2018 at 4:17 AM, 2stroke4stroke said:

Nice bike indeed, and all the more so for still having the original tail silencer as opposed to one of those horrible sounding alloy jobs that they usually have by now.

There are some high quality alloy mufflers out there, such as below.

GPRecambios_592_c80e9f65_gran.jpg

Edited by fourex
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, keychange said:

Normally you can't apply a new sealer over an old sealer and it can be a big job removing the old stuff.  Wait until you can see what is there as long as the original sealing job was done correctly it should be fine.

Hopefully the shop can tell if it was done before

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, dirtrider6 said:

He said that he remembers getting epoxy to seal tanks but he had a huge collection at the time and doesn't recall if this bike was done, can you tell by looking inside, or should I just get it redone?

My epoxy linings went dark brown after a few months exposure to petrol while the original polyester resin stays clear/light brown. Also a 40 year old unlined Spanish fibreglass tank will usually have exposed glass here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the frame number it is a 1974

Had to get new tires also, the ones that are on it were new never ridden but the rubber was hard from sitting all these years

Hope to have it back from the shop this week and take a couple pictures

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Just got a call the bike is finally done! Started on the second kick, picking it up Monday or Tuesday
One thing he said with the new rear shocks it is transferring weight to the front end, do you think a heavier oil in the forks would help?

13 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

One thing he said with the new rear shocks it is transferring weight to the front end, do you think a heavier oil in the forks would help?

Interesting question, where someone expresses an opinion that may or may not be correct. Did you get the shocks set for your weight? Are they the correct length? What oil is in the forks? Have you ridden it yet?

Just looking at the advice above re oils and capacities - can somebody confirm that they will work in my 1979 247 please? Or recommend alternatives?

Many thanks 

capacities I have are - clutch = 200 cc 10/20w or ATF, gearbox = 300cc 10/40w or 75w (should be a GL4 oil due to brass/bronze parts in there), forks = 190ml 10, 20, or ATF (use different weight oil to suit rider, but action should be "soft" compared to dirt bike), original mix is 25:1 with engine oil, but modern synthetics can run up to 50:1 - I use 40:1 with top grade oil and non additive unleaded gas in my older 2 strokes. 

15 hours ago, oldaz said:

Interesting question, where someone expresses an opinion that may or may not be correct. Did you get the shocks set for your weight? Are they the correct length? What oil is in the forks? Have you ridden it yet?

No shocks were straight out of the box and they were the correct length listed

No idea what oil is in the forks, and yea I have yet to ride it and see how it feels, and the mechanic is a endure rider, hope to pick up the bike this week and take it for a ride to form my own opinion