Montesa Cota 247 Break In Period

dirtrider6

6 hours ago, dirtrider6 said:

No idea what oil is in the forks, and yea I have yet to ride it and see how it feels, and the mechanic is a endure rider, hope to pick up the bike this week and take it for a ride to form my own opinion

There are a lot of people out there who use trials bikes for other purposes and the set-up that suits those purposes will either be to accept how the bike is, or "adjust" the bike to suit, so the set-up will depend on how it rides and what you want to do with it.

Many years ago I used a TY250b for exploring remote areas and with a couple small additions, it was perfect for the task. I also rode a couple trials on the same bike.

10 hours ago, oldaz said:

There are a lot of people out there who use trials bikes for other purposes and the set-up that suits those purposes will either be to accept how the bike is, or "adjust" the bike to suit, so the set-up will depend on how it rides and what you want to do with it.

Many years ago I used a TY250b for exploring remote areas and with a couple small additions, it was perfect for the task. I also rode a couple trials on the same bike.

Kinda what I am looking to do, setup some easy sections behind my house, do some exploring and maybe do a vintage trials, my last bike the Sherco I used for exploring, one event, and riding single track
What additions would you suggest?
On the Sherco I put bar risers for a more upright standing position, and higher gearing 

3 minutes ago, dirtrider6 said:

What additions would you suggest?

When I was exploring, I added a rear carrier from some other bike, allowed me to carry fuel, water and a few basic spares as area was quite remote - also added some blanket material to the tank so the dog would have something to grip and tied a (very) basic swag to the handlebars. I carried a bigger drive sprocket and chain extension for longer on-road travel - I could cruise about 100kph on dirt/gravel roads with the higher gearing. Mechanically the bike was standard. Attached picture taken late '74 on Cape York (Australia) - TY250b on left with scratch built longer seat over the original and the carrier and ex-army saddle-bags with mate's 175 Honda. My swag was the piece of canvas in the foreground used when repairing punctures.

CapeYork74.jpg

There are three tank/seat options ( maybe more ). I have the standard trials body as per your photo - the 247T  (trail) body with larger tank and longer padded seat and the later model large tank with very comfy seat.  The latter requires rubber grommet spacers for he rear mounts but otherwise fits perfectly and is very comfortable.

montyanzac2010.jpg

P1060575.JPG

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:24 AM, oldaz said:

When I was exploring, I added a rear carrier from some other bike, allowed me to carry fuel, water and a few basic spares as area was quite remote - also added some blanket material to the tank so the dog would have something to grip and tied a (very) basic swag to the handlebars. I carried a bigger drive sprocket and chain extension for longer on-road travel - I could cruise about 100kph on dirt/gravel roads with the higher gearing. Mechanically the bike was standard. Attached picture taken late '74 on Cape York (Australia) - TY250b on left with scratch built longer seat over the original and the carrier and ex-army saddle-bags with mate's 175 Honda. My swag was the piece of canvas in the foreground used when repairing punctures.

CapeYork74.jpg

Very cool photo!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keychange said:

There are three tank/seat options ( maybe more ). I have the standard trials body as per your photo - the 247T  (trail) body with larger tank and longer padded seat and the later model large tank with very comfy seat.  The latter requires rubber grommet spacers for he rear mounts but otherwise fits perfectly and is very comfortable.

montyanzac2010.jpg

P1060575.JPG

This is very exciting in deed!
Looks like your bike body extends over the rear fender where mine ends before the grab bar?
What year and model is that seat from? That would be awesome for exploring

On 2/27/2018 at 7:55 PM, keychange said:

Take it easy in terms of long downhill runs for a few hours...but apart from that standard trials type riding is pretty ideal for engine break in ...but avoid labouring the engine ie: pulling away in a gear that is too high.
I would also suggest that you get an after-market compression release - as the starter gear is very vulnerable and difficult to obtain.  I run 25:1 and castrol VMX80 in the gear box.  Some guys recommend ATF but my 76 model jumps out of gear in every gear and false neutrals everywhere.  With VMX it only jumps out for first, occasionally 2nd  but no false neutrals.  I am guessing that yours is around a 75 model - engine number should tell you.

So riding it around last night it is doing exactly what you are saying it is false nuetraling between most of the gears I'll need to find out what he put in the gearbox and maybe change it

3 hours ago, oldaz said:

Nice looking bike. You could drain the gearbox and try some 75w gear oil - needs to be a GL4 type oil as there's brass bits in there and GL5 will affect the brass over time.

The mechanic said he was going to use something with GL-4 per your advise because of brass, on the first page it was suggested to use Castrol Manual Vmx 80w due to the same symptoms I may go this route although it is 80w

A manual transmission fluid of advanced design especially developed to provide easier gear changes over a wide temperature range.

It is particularly versatile in cold weather as it reduces shift effort at start-up, as well as controlling transmission noise and idle rattle at operating temperatures.

Application

It should be used in manual transmissions of most car and light commercial vehicles (LCV’s) requiring GL-4 performance, where improved low temperature shift performance is required.

Features & Benefits

• Quieter transmission operation and easier low temperature gear shifting improves driving experience
  • Improved gear tooth and bearing durability reduces the risk of breakdown and extended component life
  • Effective lubrication over a wide temperature range
  • It can be used as a low drag gearbox oil in 2-stroke motorcycles with separate gearboxes

Specifications

• SAE 80W viscosity – SAE 75W-80 extrapolated (equivalent to 10W-30)
  • API Service Classification GL-4

I  just switched over to Maxima MTL 80w gear oil in my 74 Cota gear box and use atf in the clutch/primary. The label on the Maxima doesn't say anything specific as far as classification but I trust it to work well. I just did a trial with it and it worked well. It also says it is compatible with wet clutches so I may just go with the Maxima instead of atf in the clutch/primary....

Sam

9 hours ago, sdm said:

It also says it is compatible with wet clutches so I may just go with the Maxima instead of atf in the clutch/primary....

One reason people go for ATF is to keep the clutch operation as light as possible. Due to the different properties of the 2 oils you mention, I would be most interested to know how it goes if you decide to use the Maxima, it may improve the component life.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, sdm said:

I  just switched over to Maxima MTL 80w gear oil in my 74 Cota gear box and use atf in the clutch/primary. The label on the Maxima doesn't say anything specific as far as classification but I trust it to work well. I just did a trial with it and it worked well. It also says it is compatible with wet clutches so I may just go with the Maxima instead of atf in the clutch/primary....

Sam

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, sdm said:

Cant find anywhere where it says it is Classification GL-4 ?