Jet washing bikes

justjosh9

Never had a problem with pressure washing bikes, only way to get them really clean and I use 6t9 bike cleaner - still the best I've found. (Those in the know, know I am mates with the producer, but I BUY the product, it's that good).

• Like 2

I actually dont start mine after i wash it, as im careful enough to know i havent got water in. Anytime i have condensation has formed on the slide, entered the carb, resulting in a carb dismantle. This was with a dry airbox and clean filter so where it comes from im not too sure. People will say im talking nonsense but its happened with me a couple of times now. I wouldnt leave it more than a few days though

Edited by faussy

Everytime I wash my bike (no jet wash), after i'm done I am drying it with yellow cheap Vacuum cleaner from Lidl (you can use it as a blower with hose attached to the back of it). It's the best method to dry your bike and drive water out from all crevices and hard to reach areas. No need to turn on bike after that. 

I have seen main bearings rust from a bike not being started afterwards. The bike was washed hard after an extemely muddy event, driven 1500 miles home and parked for two weeks. When started it made a nice roaring sound. The bike was only 3 months old. I know this as I was the mechanic that fixed it. Start it aftwr a wash, or do not wash it.

• Like 4

After jet washing I usually wipe down with a microfibre cloth, and spray light oil (usually GT85) on all the exposed bits; carb, forks, shocks, etc.  When I had the Gasgas I'd pop the air filter out too, both to clean it and to let the airbox dry, but the TY seems happy without that :)

In my experience it depends, if the bike is cold when you wash it should be fine as long as no water get in the airbox or pipe.  However I have seen pressure washing able to get enough water up vent tubes even when not directly spraying them it's worth a start.

there is also the consideration if the bike is warm.  You can cause moisture to condense with the cool cold water by a hose or pressure wash.  

Maybe I am just palinode because of a couple of edge cases I have seen, but I am not going to risk it when running the bike up to temp takes such little effort.  

• Like 1