Montesa Cota 247 kickstart spring

oldaz

Almost finished rebuilding my VUK and finally got to TRY and install the kickstart return spring I got from Inmotion. Problems are, the hook that goes in the notch in bottom of lever is level with the pin that goes in the case - so the spring has to be "wound up" half a turn (180 degrees) to get it in there - if this is even possible. Second problem is IF I ever get it in there, when I operate the kicker it will load the spring another 180 degrees which seems way too much tension - I don't think the spring would last long this way.

Does anyone know the correct method to fit the spring? 

The spring has to have some loading on it otherwise it will flop around.  The kick start is usually installed at around 2 o'clock rather than vertical. I have only had one spring break and that was when my son tried starting with the clutch in :(

IMG_4796zoom.jpg

How I attach my spring:

Fit spring into notch on kickstart lever.

Insert straight end of spring into hole in flywheel cover.

Rotate kickstart to correct angle (only about 45 degrees counter clockwise)

Push kickstart on to splines and tighten pinch bolt.

56 minutes ago, cleanorbust said:

How I attach my spring:

Fit spring into notch on kickstart lever.

Insert straight end of spring into hole in flywheel cover.

Rotate kickstart to correct angle (only about 45 degrees counter clockwise)

Push kickstart on to splines and tighten pinch bolt.

Same here, though I got my lever at about the 11 o'clock position (with the hope that it might reduce the chance of putting a hole in the engine again, lol)

2 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Same here, though I got my lever at about the 11 o'clock position (with the hope that it might reduce the chance of putting a hole in the engine again, lol)

How do you avoid banging your shin on the lever while riding sections?

3 hours ago, turbofurball said:

You do mean 11 o'clock, not 1 o'clock? The position in keychange's photo looks correct and wouldn't damage the casing

Interesting...I have very little preload on the spring but when I move the lever around towards the starting position the spring loads up,lever returns back to rest fine.

I don't know if its correct by the book but it functions as it should ,was that way when I got the bike.

Got a response and pictures from Pete at Inmotion. The first thing I noticed was in one picture it shows the hook end of the spring hooked around the bottom of the kickstart lever and the hook has a slight twist to allow it to fit right in there. The end of my spring wasn't twisted like this and didn't fit right in the notch, so I modified it to fit the same way. That gave another few degrees less tension and although I believe it's still more than needed I can now get the lever on there. My original spring was broken and part of it missing, so I had nothing to go by, now it makes sense.

Thanks for all the responses, with the help from all of you, I might get this thing finished.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, oldaz said:

Thanks for all the responses, with the help from all of you, I might get this thing finished.

Here's a picture of the nicely re-chromed kickstart now in place and working fine and theoretically that's the last of the mechanical bits. Started on fibreglass repairs to the tank/seat unit, already got the 2k paint for it and first lit of fibreglass applied. Need to get some primer filler for the little ripples/scratches next.

DSC_0167a.jpg

• Like 4